Dell 24 Inch Monitor Recommendation

Hello

I'm looking for a new monitor to use in my home office. 

I’ve looked online but would be grateful for some recommendations for a 24 inch monitor. I understand the U series is the best but a friend has just bought a new S model (out of my budget at about £450) and is very pleased with it. 

My budget is around £200. 

Thanks

Do you want to use it only for general office work?

What about playing computer games?

What about photo/video editing?

Do you need HDMI, display port, VGA, usb-c, speakers?

Do you need to be able to raise & lower the screen? what about rotate the screen vertically?

1920 * 1080 or a higher resolution?

IPS screens are good but may not be ideal for gaming.

Dont buy Dell, they are usually over-priced for what they are, and usually use B-Grade panels..

You can often find a (none dell) variant at 2/3 the price...

shop around a little...

Also depends what you are doing with it, if you are doing general office work, browsing the web, and watching YouTube etc, then you don't need to spend too much on a monitor, that has all sorts of fancy features and 'bonuses'...

Thanks both. I will mainly be using it for general office work but also browsing the internet and occasionally viewing/editing photos. I won't be gaming.

It would be a bonus if I could raise/lower the screen, but rotating it vertically probably won't be necessary. 

I'm not too sure about HDMI, display port, VGA etc as I don't really understand those terms. 

The monitor I'm using at the moment is a Dell U2412M which I like because it has a wider screen (top to bottom)  with more of a square display rather than a long and narrow one

OK, that monitor is 1920 * 1200, IPS with DVI, DP and VGA. Fully adjustable stand.

It would be useful to know what display connector you currently use:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Common_Display_Interfaces.png

Dell P2421 24'' IPS LED Monitor   under £170 on ebuyer.com

iiyama XUB2495WSU-B1    £210 amazon but no DVI.

ASUS ProArt Display PA248QV   £230 amazon but no DVI.

Probably loads of others.

Thanks Andy.

How do you think the Dell P2421 compares to the Dell U2419H here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultrasharp-U2419H-Monitor-23-8/dp/B07JDGSPFM

They are roughly the same price but I noticed one is an LCD and the other is LED backlit - which would be better in these circumstances? Also I have read a few reviews that say the U series is higher quality than the P series.

Whatever you do, don't be a tight-fisted Yorkshireman and make the mistake of getting a Dell E-series monitor.

The E-series are cheap and nasty, with poor quality screens, limited viewing angles and no height adjustment.

They are a false economy and are not worth the slight cost saving over the P-series monitors.

I've used Dell P-series and U-series, and I'd be happy with either of them.

If the U-series is only slightly more expensive than the P-series, you want might to go for the U-series, but bear in mind that the first two of the four numbers refers to the screen size (24-inch) and the latter two refer to the year it was released, so the P2421 would be this year's model, compared to the U2419 from a couple of years ago.

Edit:  The U2419 has already been superseded by the U2421.

Edited by The Joker

Both are LCD (TFT) with LED backlights.

The one you linked to has a resolution of 1920 * 1080, so it will have slightly fewer lines. Also it doesn't have a VGA connector, so check what connection you need.

Edited by andysm
typo

For around the same price, you could purchase a 28-inch 4K monitor instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-U28E590D-28-Inch-LCD-Monitor/dp/B00WUACE4S

At time of posting, Amazon are selling the Samsung U28E590D for just £204.

Check your computer supports HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2 so that you can run the 4K resolution at 60Hz, otherwise it will run at 30Hz.

Thanks Waldo, that is the one I am using at the moment but was looking for a newer model as that dates back to 2012.

Ideally looking for something that is 16:10 ratio.

Edited by Guest

I've been very pleased with this monitor:

https://www.viewsonic.com/uk/products/lcd/VA2719-sh#specs

It is a bit bigger than what you are after and you can only adjust the tilt, not the height (You could always buy an adjustable monitor stand.

Resolution is 1920 x 1080 and has VGA and HDMI ports - no Digital Port and Dells tend to have Display ports that look like an HDMI port with a corner lopped off!

In the image below, starting with the blue port, this is VGA, next DV-I, then HDMI, then Digital Port:

5645018970_1e8374642a_b.jpg

So check the ports on your PC as to what Monitor it will support - there should be a specification somewhere if it is onboard graphics, otherwise the spec sheet of your graphics card should help.