Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Brighton V Blades

Brighton may have squeaked a winner at the end there and squeak may be a word that described my bottom watching it.

A draw, a point, another important point moving forward. But you know what? I am willing to take a great amount of optimism out of that, out if the last couple of games in fact.

We seem to have a bit more about us going forwards again.  Certain players are stand out at the minute, they seem to be really going for it... McGoldrick in particular, absolutely playing out of his skin in regards to work rate and effort. Burke's pace seems to be a real threat for us, just wish his goalscoring boots were on.....Egan and Bash at the back are throwing their body on the line as per usual!.... I take my hat off to them all.

Mr Wilder I take my hat off to you too today, with with all the unnecessary criticism from the neutrals. He's not afraid to make decisions and he made the right ones again today, fleck has been poor and perhaps wouldn't have started for me. But he's started bad and he's been withdrawn early.  The right calls, at the right time today! 

The red card?....they are given in this day and age and you can't really argue with it. A decade ago, the ref would have waved his arms and signified that it was  first, play would have gone on..... in this day and age, football is pretty much a zero contact sport. He did win the ball first, but his momentum carried him straight through the player and will only be construed as dangerous or with intent. It is what it is......

But a great deal of credit can be given for the way in which we applied ourselves afterwards. Some teams would just become negative or fold, when playing away from home with 10 men. We need points and we want to win games, therefore we continued on the front foot.....fair play to the lads.

I am feeling a bit of positive momentum at the minute. The boys look like they are ready for the fight, they are not backing down what so ever. We need to continue in this mindset....if we do, we will get points. 

Let's finish this year on a high and then with the loan players coming in, we can regroup and kick on it this relegation battle. We are far from down, we just have to have the mentality and determination to get us out of the mess. We have the right manager and team to do this.

Edited by cmonkes

Keeping a clean sheet was always a big ask when you have 10 men for 60 minutes, but we put up a fight and only the experience of Welbeck salvaged a point for Brighton.

Fleck has not been right since his back injury, he needs a few weeks off, Bogle to start and Burke as well, his pace is something else. 

4 minutes ago, cmonkes said:

Brighton may have squeaked a winner at the end there and squeak may be a word that described my bottom watching it.

A draw, a point, another important point moving forward. But you know what? I am willing to take a great amount of optimism out of that, out if the last couple of games in fact.

We seem to have a bit more about us going forwards again.  Certain players are stand out at the minute, they seem to be really going for it... McGoldrick in particular, absolutely playing out of his skin in regards to work rate and effort. Burke's pace seems to be a real threat for us, just wish his goalscoring boots were on.....Egan and Bash at the back are throwing their body on the line as per usual!.... I take my hat off to them all.

Mr Wilder I take my hat off to you too today, with with all the unnecessary criticism from the neutrals. He's not afraid to make decisions and he made the right ones again today, fleck has been poor and perhaps wouldn't have started for me. But he's started bad and he's been withdrawn early.  The right calls, at the right time today! 

The red card?....they are given in this day and age and you can't really argue with it. A decade ago, the ref would have waved his arms and signified that it was  first, play would have gone on..... in this day and age, football is pretty much a zero contact sport. He did win the ball first, but his momentum carried him straight through the player and will only be construed as dangerous or with intent. It is what it is......

But a great deal of credit can be given for the way in which we applied ourselves afterwards. Some teams would just become negative or fold, when playing away from home with 10 men. We need points and we want to win games, therefore we continued on the front foot.....fair play to the lads.

Good post as usual Monkes,

But I'm really getting fed up with reading the same thing over and over again.

Gave it 100%,

Bad luck,

Deserved more,

No luck with VAR,

Bad ref,

Created plenty of chance's.....

Now gone 14 games without a win, same old story, NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!

I watched the game. Can't understand how Utd got a point out of that but fair play. Brighton should have been at least 2 up by half time. However the lad missed the header with an open goal staring at him heaven knows and the scramble in the last minute. I thought Brighton were pretty toothless to be honest, very poor up front.

The sending off really worked in Uniteds favour I thought, encourage Brighton to pile forward and leave them open for a counter attack. 

Why did the ref need to look at the sending off again on the TV, maybe didn't have a clear view of it at the time so why issue a yellow if he couldn't see. Red all day long I thought.

Playing away, in front of a baying crowd, against 10 men for much of the match, and we come away with a point.  We're turning things around!

Next up, at home with 11 men, every prospect of 3 points against Everton.  Then Burnley, Palace and Newcastle.  All winnable.

Is it too late to start a push for a European spot?

COYRAWW!

Disappointed with the line

up before the match, Fleck not fit and Lundstrum wants to leave

Didn't get the result til 3pm, absolutely gutted

I must be getting soft in my old age. Being a lifelong Owl I never thought I would say anything kind about the Blades. However, I watched the game on TV today and I thought a draw was probably a fair result, but my reason for this post is to dispute the ref's decision to send Lundstram off. I know that people will say you can't tackle like that these days but come on. The guy went fairly and honestly for the ball, his studs were showing a little but as soon as contact was made the Brighton player makes enough of it to get Lundstram red carded then he is up and looks fine. We might as well ban tackling altogether, stop players running and lets just have walking football. Players are probably guilty of their own downfall these days when they roll about after a legitimate tackle, it can come back to haunt them. Well that's may say on the matter, I still can't believe I've said something in favour of the Blades, I'll have to go and lie down for  a bit.

42 minutes ago, lakerman said:

I must be getting soft in my old age. Being a lifelong Owl I never thought I would say anything kind about the Blades. However, I watched the game on TV today and I thought a draw was probably a fair result, but my reason for this post is to dispute the ref's decision to send Lundstram off. I know that people will say you can't tackle like that these days but come on. The guy went fairly and honestly for the ball, his studs were showing a little but as soon as contact was made the Brighton player makes enough of it to get Lundstram red carded then he is up and looks fine. We might as well ban tackling altogether, stop players running and lets just have walking football. Players are probably guilty of their own downfall these days when they roll about after a legitimate tackle, it can come back to haunt them. Well that's may say on the matter, I still can't believe I've said something in favour of the Blades, I'll have to go and lie down for  a bit.

But it’s true, you can’t tackle like that anymore. Wednesday had a man sent off versus Reading, exactly the same. Got the ball first. It doesn’t matter, it’s called reckless.

2 hours ago, Padders said:

Good post as usual Monkes,

But I'm really getting fed up with reading the same thing over and over again.

Gave it 100%,

Bad luck,

Deserved more,

No luck with VAR,

Bad ref,

Created plenty of chance's.....

Now gone 14 games without a win, same old story, NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!

The last two games have probably been the best indicator of perhaps turning some sort of corner padders. I totally get your frustration mate, but all things said and done...it is very much David vs goliath in this league for us. Last seasons highs have somewhat given huge expectancies of the boys, but realism is that this is how it is probably going to be, as we desperately try and establish ourselves in the top flight.

We are still highly competitive with the majority of the league and yes I agree, it is really frustrating mate. But we need to remember who we are and the pond that we are in! The aim was survival when the first ball was kicked, this remains the case now. The reason that we aren't being written off by pundits, is that we have pride and character.

Confidence is growing in attacking areas and I sure as hell haven't written them off. The heart is there and players are trying to turn corners!

Keep the faith

1 hour ago, lakerman said:

I agree whole hearted with was you are trying to say, but this is the nature of the sport now and we have no option but to just get on with it. Literally all challenges, whether on the floor or in the air, have to be clear cut....it is very much becoming a zero contact sport. I shoulder the same frustrations as you, but this is football in 2020.

I don't feel inclined in any way, shape or form, to grumble at the decision today...Sadly I have come to terms with the modern day game and in full knowledge of this, you see red cards given for this all the time. His intent was to win the ball and that is what he achieved, but the ground covered to get there, followed by the momentum and follow through onto the player....whilst without intent, is considered wreckers in this day and age.

Once upon a time, we would have all clapped a challenge like that ...

Red card all day long now football has gone soft 20 years ago we'd of been applauding him for a strong challenge. The stats say you should of lost but we all know stats don't win games.

Definite red card, Brighton would have been beside themselves had they lost that, totally dominated play with United (albeit with 10 men) restricted to long punts upfield. Brighton very nearly snatched a deserved win at the death.