New Extension Roof And Gutter Problem

Had my  single-storey extension re-roofed a couple of weeks ago.

Looks OK, but for some reason it looks as though the pitch angle has altered a little from the original.

A drainpipe from the storey above empties on to the new roof, and the rainwater used to/is meant to run down into a horizontal gutter, before running along to a further downpipe and eventually into a drain.

Unfortunately the altered pitch means that the rainwater now hits the tiles with such a force that it now shoots over the horizontal guttering rather than running in to it!

Any ideas as to how to solve, please?

Depends on the detail of the pipe termination; is there an angled shoe fitted? if so, the shoe could be swivelled to re-direct the flow, or some kind of grill/baffle might help on the outlet, provided it doesn't cause back-up in the pipe in downpour conditions. Provided of course you can easily access the pipe.

Surely first thing to do is inform the builders who reroofed it ?

1 hour ago, carosio said:

Depends on the detail of the pipe termination; is there an angled shoe fitted? if so, the shoe could be swivelled to re-direct the flow, or some kind of grill/baffle might help on the outlet, provided it doesn't cause back-up in the pipe in downpour conditions. Provided of course you can easily access the pipe.

Yes, there's the original shoe still fitted....not right-angled though, think it's around 112 degrees from what I've read?

I've just gone and bought some 65mm square pipe and a couple of offset shoes, the thought being to bodge some kind of detour into the guttering.

Wish I could add a photo to explain this better!

43 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

Surely first thing to do is inform the builders who reroofed it ?

Thought about that, but they subbed the guttering job to a different outfit. I can hear what's going to be said - one's going to blame the other!

Having just thrown 5 grand at it, the last thing I thought I'd be doing is shinning up a ladder trying to bodge it!

If I remember rightly, standard roundline just clips into the squareline. Best to arrange something even it looks a bit ungainly while you can come up with a neater solution.

Edited by carosio

2 hours ago, carosio said:

If I remember rightly, standard roundline just clips into the squareline. Best to arrange something even it looks a bit ungainly while you can come up with a neater solution.

Don't know about the roundline, but I've bought some 65mm square, a couple of offset shoes and cobbled something temporary together. Pretty, it ain't.

Have dropped the roofers a line about it, but don't expect any reaction now until next year - it'll hardly be regarded as an emergency, I'd think.

Let's just hope that the bodge holds out until then!

Good. The Roundline is the standard round drainpiping.

Sounds like the bottom row of tiles have been set too low/too far into the gutter.

They could be moved up the roof by adding another baton behind the first and adding eves trays under the felt into the gutter.

2 hours ago, dan2802 said:

Sounds like the bottom row of tiles have been set too low/too far into the gutter.

They could be moved up the roof by adding another baton behind the first and adding eves trays under the felt into the gutter.

Yes, you're right.

Apart from the incline - pitch? - being increased, the bottom tile extends too far over the (seamless ally) guttering...or the gutter is too close to the board/wall underneath.

Either way, in that heavy stuff last night, the rain was flying out of the downpipe, missing the guttering completely, and trying to flood the back yard!

28 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Yes, you're right.

Apart from the incline - pitch? - being increased, the bottom tile extends too far over the (seamless ally) guttering...or the gutter is too close to the board/wall underneath.

Either way, in that heavy stuff last night, the rain was flying out of the downpipe, missing the guttering completely, and trying to flood the back yard!

Yes the bottom course tiles wants lifting and job wants sorting  properly  been bodged.   Get some one like dan  to sort it  know good getting bodgers back  pay to have it done properly what else they done why you have em in first place cheap

There are several factors governing the speed and amount of water shedding off the tiles- the pitch, the severity of the rain, the distance from eaves to ridge.

In your case there is also one point (the outlet) which is concentrating more water to one small area. Are there any more downpipes servicing the stories above that share the water load?

https://www.guttersupplies.co.uk/gutter-installation/how-far-into-the-gutter-should-roof-tiles-slates-project/

2 hours ago, spider1 said:

Yes the bottom course tiles wants lifting and job wants sorting  properly  been bodged.   Get some one like dan  to sort it  know good getting bodgers back  pay to have it done properly what else they done why you have em in first place cheap

Far from cheap, pally!

Had 3 quotes, all from well respected companies - signwritten company vans, etc. - they were all brother chip, give or take £100.

2 hours ago, carosio said:

There are several factors governing the speed and amount of water shedding off the tiles- the pitch, the severity of the rain, the distance from eaves to ridge.

In your case there is also one point (the outlet) which is concentrating more water to one small area. Are there any more downpipes servicing the stories above that share the water load?

https://www.guttersupplies.co.uk/gutter-installation/how-far-into-the-gutter-should-roof-tiles-slates-project/

Interesting site, that - thanks.

In our case, the bottom few tiles look a bit like the take-off ramp on an aircraft carrier - there's a very slight incline, hence the water "flying" off and missing the guttering completely.