Has anyone else got a pet rat (skin complaint)

Rats are prone to little mites that burrow into the skin, these cause the sypmtoms that you describe and it is very painful for the rat, in general they start with the mites and chest problems after they are about 1 year so the timing is right i'm afraid.

If you take the rat to the vet he will give him a little injection that clears the mites very quickly, please don't leave him to suffer this is very painful and the rats bite and scratch peices out of themselves without treatment :(

i took her to the vets at firth park about 3 weeks ago, she hadf an injection and some drops behind her ears, but the vet said it wasnt gauranted to work, it cost me £20 but i didnt want to see her suffer.

Definitely sounds like mites to me.

Best treatment is Ivermectin which I suspect is what your vet gave her. I don't know why they injected her and gave her drops though, that's not really necessary.

She needs a drop on the back of her neck once a week for three weeks to clear them up. Did the vet give you some to take away with you?

Oh, and in answer to your question, I have five rats :) I generally also have a few rescues staying at any one time while I find them new homes, must be mad.

Re the antiseptic cream... I'd be inclined to bathe with a product such as dettol or TCP, but check the label to make sure it's the product you can also gargle with ;)

Brude has had small amounts of Savlon cream on his paws with success, but rubbed in thoroughly, as he tries to lick it off (he is a dog BTW)