Can An Mp Sign My D/ License Application If He Has Fiddled Expenses?

I have recently applied for a photo driving license. The dvla form  lists the professions of people that are eligible to sign and verify my photo/indentity etc. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who works in those sort of professions that I could ask. As well as signing, they are also required to put their own driving licence number on the form, and agree to dvla checking their driving record to confirm their identity. A gp may see it  as hassle?

I know some honest people, but like me they are ordinary Joes.

If I contacted a local MP who had been convicted for falsely claiming expenses, I guess he would be eligible to sign my form.

It is almost inferring people that work in certain types of occupations  are honest, and the other occupations comprise of dishonest individuals. It just seem like steriotyping to me.

Edited by Janus
Typo

Stick with your GP.

It's a nice little earner for 'em.

5 hours ago, Janus said:

I have recently applied for a photo driving license. The dvla form  lists the professions of people that are eligible to sign and verify my photo/indentity etc. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who works in those sort of professions that I could ask. As well as signing, they are also required to put their own driving licence number on the form, and agree to dvla checking their driving record to confirm their identity. A gp may see it  as hassle?

If I contacted a local MP who had been convicted for falsely claiming expenses, I guess he would be eligible to sign my form.

It is almost inferring people that work in certain types of occupations  are honest, and the other occupations comprise of dishonest individuals. It just seem like steriotyping to me.

Your countersignatory must:

• have known you (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years
  • be able to identify you, for example they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows you professionally)
  • be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession

1. Has your local MP known you for at least 2 year?
2. Would your local MP know you from Adam?
3. Not sure a criminal conviction would count as 'a person of good standing' but maybe that's just me. 

An Ex manager I used to work with did mine about 20 or so years ago. Worked with him for about 5 years, and knew him for about 10 years. After he left our place he set up his own business, he was also a mate.  At the time I was applying for my photo licence I had the same predicament, and thought he was the best candidate as he knew me better than any doctor or MP.  Didn't cost me anything.

10 hours ago, Janus said:

It seems like a quaint and old fashioned method to me and I think working class people are at a disadvantage here. The middle classes will have lots of friends, neighbours, colleagues etc they can call on for this without having to pay. Some working class people will struggle and might end up having pay, say their GP, to do this. 

I ask a copper who I used to go shooting with to sign mine. Apparently they are not allowed to charge either

There is one obvious advantage in asking your GP...

If he mutters something like "Nah...save your money...", you know you've got a problem!

12 hours ago, Resident said:

1. Has your local MP known you for at least 2 year?
2. Would your local MP know you from Adam?
3. Not sure a criminal conviction would count as 'a person of good standing' but maybe that's just me. 

This is in the realms of what I was thinking. Ironically MPs are on the dvla list.

7 hours ago, redruby said:

It seems like a quaint and old fashioned method to me and I think working class people are at a disadvantage here. The middle classes will have lots of friends, neighbours, colleagues etc they can call on for this without having to pay. Some working class people will struggle and might end up having pay, say their GP, to do this. 

Fully with you on that Ruby. I feel some things like this are in need of a shake up. 

Edited by Janus