Fake Gas Worker Batemoor. ?

Some men,been knocking a lots of flat this morning,when we opened he said need to check gas,and can he use a toilet,he went upstairs to toilet but didnt used it,just been walking around,when he went out he said,gas company will send a letter,it was scam or what,do someone else have this problem?

That sounded like a scam. I mean this as nicely as possible, you were silly to let him in without any ID / confirmation. Please make sure you phone the police and give a description of this person.  Check if anything has 'gone missing' as well. :(

Gas / water workers would never do that. They would have ID with them. If in doubt ask them to give you their ID card, shut the door and ring the telephone number given. They will be quite happy for you to do this. As Groose said, ring the police asap. I sincerely hope you don't find anything missing. 

They should be Gas Safety registered and carry a card to confirm this. 

Do NOT phone the number given as it will be just another low life sat in the van or in their dump waiting to confirm identity.  Find the legitimate number of the claimed company and phone that. Leave the person locked outside.  All major companies give this advice.  Only con merchants will say they haven’t time to wait for checking.

Phone the Gas Safety Registered number as they have the name, address and phone number of every engineer.  The engineer should also carry an ID card with their photo on.

I find it unbelievable that you let him in

44 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

I find it unbelievable that you let him in

Some even wear false IDs.

10 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Some even wear false IDs.

no really!

Alarm bells would be ring immediately they asked to use the loo I am not even sure if they are allowed to use the loo in customers houses

The first thing I would do is check that there is a company gas van outside and if not then I would  ask them to comeback when I have checked with the gas company/police

17 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

no really!

Alarm bells would be ring immediately they asked to use the loo I am not even sure if they are allowed to use the loo in customers houses

The first thing I would do is check that there is a company gas van outside and if not then I would  ask them to comeback when I have checked with the gas company/police

They have even been known to have a false sign saying British Gas on their van.

You shouldn't get unsolicited calls regarding gas and checking your property. If you need your gas supply checking you will pay for this, and if you you have an emergency, you will need to call the national gas emergency service number.

Northern Gas Networks for responsible for supply in our area and Northern powergrid for elelectricty. 

Always verify ANY visitor's to your home independently of any information they give you.