Why Does A Microwave Turntable Stop Revolving ?

My microwave is quite old now but has always worked well. For the last two days I’ve noticed that when food is put into the microwave and switched on, the microwave itself heats the food up, but the turntable doesn’t revolve.Does anyone know why this is ? Should I buy a new one or have it repaired ? 

Edited by Groose
fixed title

Is everything 'sat' right Pat?  The circle with the wheels on and the glass plate.

15 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

Is everything 'sat' right Pat?  The circle with the wheels on and the glass plate.

Yes, Ive checked that Jane. If it’s not sat right it can stop it revolving. I will see what happens tomorrow. I’ve got a gas cooker as well so don’t rely on the microwave completely but it comes in handy for warming things up. Might buy a new one as I’ve had it many years.

29 minutes ago, pattricia said:

My microwave is quite old now but has always worked well. For the last two days I’ve noticed that when food is put into the microwave and switched on, the microwave itself heats the food up, but the turntable doesn’t revolve.Does anyone know why this is ? Should I buy a new one or have it repaired ? 

Repair cost might be not much cheaper than a new microwave and that’s if you can still get parts for yours 

11 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

Repair cost might be not much cheaper than a new microwave and that’s if you can still get parts for yours 

My thoughts exactly.!

As Rudds says Pat, microwaves are pretty cheap so get another one

We usually get ours from Aldi,they come with a guarantee and if anything goes wrong with them you get your money back as long as you got your receipt,does not have to break ours paint peeled on inside we got our money back.done it twice now,and had the microwave quite a few years.

Think it was 3 year guarantee.

So really we keep getting a new one every 3 years or so.

So for £50 or so we have had 3 microwaves from them for £50,and we cannot fault the microwave for working well in that time.

Edited by speleo1
added info

38 minutes ago, speleo1 said:

We usually get ours from Aldi,they come with a guarantee and if anything goes wrong with them you get your money back as long as you got your receipt,does not have to break ours paint peeled on inside we got our money back.done it twice now,and had the microwave quite a few years.

Think it was 3 year guarantee.

So really we keep getting a new one every 3 years or so.

So for £50 or so we have had 3 microwaves from them for £50,and we cannot fault the microwave for working well in that time.

I shop at Aldi so will have a look at them next time I go in. I cannot understand why the microwave part works that heats the food up but not the turntable. Mind you this has happened before so will see what happens today.!

I recently had the turntable motor on mine changed under warranty. It took the tech about 5 minutes to change but don't have a clue how much they cost.

Does it do the same in both directions. On all i've owned, if you open the door during the cook, when you close it again the turntable goes the other way round. Is yours broken in both directions? If it is, I think a new one is a better option.

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

I shop at Aldi so will have a look at them next time I go in. I cannot understand why the microwave part works that heats the food up but not the turntable. Mind you this has happened before so will see what happens today.!

The turntable and the microwave beams are 2 separate parts in side your microwave hence it still microwaves without turntable moving 

1 hour ago, zach said:

I recently had the turntable motor on mine changed under warranty. It took the tech about 5 minutes to change but don't have a clue how much they cost.

Does it do the same in both directions. On all i've owned, if you open the door during the cook, when you close it again the turntable goes the other way round. Is yours broken in both directions? If it is, I think a new one is a better option.

Yes, mine does exactly the same as yours.

1 hour ago, rudds1 said:

The turntable and the microwave beams are 2 separate parts in side your microwave hence it still microwaves without turntable moving 

Thank you. I always wondered about this.

27 minutes ago, carosio said:

Although it's best to get a new one especially if your oven is getting on in years, this video clip will help you understand what the problem is likely to be.

https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1598860

Thank you for this link.