Clough House On Clough Lane S10

On old OS maps 'Clough House' appears about half way up Clough Lane (on the Porter Valley section of the Sheffield Round Walk).  Does anyone know anything this place?  Was it a farm and who lived there?  At the top of Clough Lane there was a farm called Bower Hill which I believe was demolished in the 1960's but I can't find any info about Clough House. 

You could start at HM Land Registry:

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/eservices/FindAProperty/view/QuickEnquiryInit.do

For £3, you can buy a copy of the current title entries.

You might then be able to work backwards by buying Historic Copy Entries.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Between (at least) 1886 and 1900 it was the home of Edward Winder who managed the estates of the Duke of Norfolk.

In 1907 it came up for sale or let, described as 10 rooms with bath and WC, hot and cold water.

In 1912 the occupant was advertising for a manservant with knowledge of Darraq cars.

In 1918 the home of Dutch flautist Marritz Benavente.

In 1931 the home of Dr & Mrs Murphy.

Edited by sadbrewer

Thank you for this, that is very interesting. The house seems to have been larger and more modern than I had imagined it!

It would be very interesting to been any photos of it that might exist or where it might be possible to find some further information.

11 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

Between (at least) 1886 and 1900 it was the home of Edward Winder who managed the estates of the Duke of Norfolk.

In 1907 it came up for sale or let, described as 10 rooms with bath and WC, hot and cold water.

In 1912 the occupant was advertising for a manservant with knowledge of Darraq cars.

In 1918 the home of Dutch flautist Marritz Benavente.

In 1931 the home of Dr & Mrs Murphy.

Edited by redruby

In 1871, Clough House was a school.  Richard Bowling was the school master and his wife Emma is with him.

There were six assistant teachers, twenty two pupils and six domestic servants.

In 1851 and 1861 the occupants were George Hounsfield/Howfield and his wife Marie, in 1851 George was a Coal Master

and in 1861 he was a Banker.

I’ver done a bit of digging around on the Picture Sheffield website and it looks like there are two different Clough Houses! The school where Richard Bowling was headmaster was on Clough Road near Shoreham St and I suspect the info from sadbrewer also relates to this Clough House. 
The Clough House I’ve looking at is on Clough Lane in S10 and I’ve now found a picture and a bit more info but it would be interesting to know more if anyone can help?
https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;p01017&pos=27&action=zoom&id=139011

18 hours ago, redruby said:

I’ver done a bit of digging around on the Picture Sheffield website and it looks like there are two different Clough Houses! The school where Richard Bowling was headmaster was on Clough Road near Shoreham St and I suspect the info from sadbrewer also relates to this Clough House. 
The Clough House I’ve looking at is on Clough Lane in S10 and I’ve now found a picture and a bit more info but it would be interesting to know more if anyone can help?
https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;p01017&pos=27&action=zoom&id=139011

Hi redruby, I can certainly tell you some HISTORY of this house.

Originally it was Clough House Farm ,  not sure when it was built, my guess early 1800s.

( It was  entered on several census with different titles and lane, but it is the same.)

By 1851 census it was not listed as a Farm  just as CLOUGH HOUSE, Fullwood. ( Note ll in Fulwood )

"            "        head / George Gregory    wife / Dorothy    sons / George/ Sam /John /Charles   daughter/ Pamela

In 1871 census it was listed  MARK LANE, CLOUGH COTTAGE.( Mark Lane is off lower Clough Lane.)

"            "        head / George Moseley    wife /Ann    son / Fred   daughter / Martha

In 1881 census it was CLOUGH HOUSE, CLOUGH LANE, MARK LANE

"              "       head/Daniel Harrison   wife/Isabella

In 1891 census it was CLOUGH HOUSE, MARK LANE.

"             "       head/George Fox Broomhead   wife/Hannah   daughters/Elizabeth/Susannah/Esther/Annie/Mary

son/Joshua

In 1901 census it was CLOUGH LANE.

"             "      head/George Fox Broomhead   wife/Hannah   daughters/Susan/Esther/Annie   

sons/Joshua/George/Thomas

The Broomhead family were the last residents to live there, and it was demolished in the 1950s. 

ok Heartshome

hi, we used to live on andrews place masborough, we had alot of spooky goings on in our house although it was a newish built house, i did some research and went to the library in rotherham to find out there used to be a farm called clough farm and clough cottages where andrews place was built and the farm house was demolish in 1901 i think but cant find any maps where the farm stood any help much appreciated

7 hours ago, jenny wilson said:

hi, we used to live on andrews place masborough, we had alot of spooky goings on in our house although it was a newish built house, i did some research and went to the library in rotherham to find out there used to be a farm called clough farm and clough cottages where andrews place was built and the farm house was demolish in 1901 i think but cant find any maps where the farm stood any help much appreciated

Hi jenny. CLOUGH FARM was on HENLEY LANE, and still listed on a map of 1956. Ok Heartshome