Strange Plug Sockets.

Apologies, first of all... I have asked this question on here before, but (1) I can't find it, and (2) can't remember the solution/replies either!

So here goes -

3 curious plug sockets in the main room of our circa 1905 house.

2 of them are set in the wall just above skirting. The other is in a corner, only about a foot down from the ceiling.

All three are laid out in the normal 3-pin fashion, i.e. in a triangle, so I shall refer to them as the earth, neg and live positions (although that may be totally wrong, of course)

The "earth" socket is a semicircle, with the flat side to the top.

The "negative" is an upright rectangle, not unlike a modern-day earth pin socket, but thinner.

If they weren't weird enough, the "live" pin socket is shaped like a T, but turned 90 degrees anti-clockwise.

Whether any of 'em are still live or not, I've still to find out.

Next to one of the skirting board jobs is yet another strange looking beast.

The backplate has two sockets , one above the other, and each is "encircled" by an oval slot.

(I say oval, but technically that's not correct. Picture a circle that's been squeezed top and bottom, and you're there!)

Each socket has only two pin holes -  left and right, upright/rectangular in shape, again similar to a modern-day earth pin socket, but thinner. You'd maybe think "shaver socket" these days, but they wouldn't be above a skirting board in a living room! And two?!

Your suggestions are welcome!

Thank you!

Apparently it is a NEMA 5–20R:

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-power-outlets-have-T-shaped-plugs

2 hours ago, andysm said:

Apparently it is a NEMA 5–20R:

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-power-outlets-have-T-shaped-plugs

Ah!

Correct! Thank you!

Either the quora photo is upside down, or the ones in our house have been fitted wrong!

I'll try to identify the other socket after writing - could well be a variation on a NEMA.

I wonder what 120v equipment - presumably from the USA - someone had got here? All three sockets are at the same end of the room, but the one just below the coving is really intriguing!  Whatever gear it was, you'd have thought it easier to buy a 240v equivalent over here, rather than go to the trouble of fitting sockets?!

Courtesy of the cellar steps, I can see that at least one of 'em is still wired up....and live?

If so, would there be a transformer somewhere?

All the bathroom lighting is 12v, but I know where the transformer is for that.

Maybe a previous resident just had something about different voltages!

Thanks again, andysm.

Edit : yup, and there they are. NEMA 1-15, Type A.

https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/ab/

Again, Yank or Canadian.

Edited by RiffRaff

Have you measured what's coming out of them? They might not necessarily be 120v.

54 minutes ago, slh73 said:

Have you measured what's coming out of them? They might not necessarily be 120v.

Just recharging a 9v PP3 for my multimeter!

Tell you later!

Sounds like your house may be due for a rewire.

On 14/12/2020 at 15:12, slh73 said:

All register zero voltage output.

(Did also check a 240v job just in case the meter was playing up!) 

21 hours ago, andysm said:

Sounds like your house may be due for a rewire.

We do go through a lot of light bulbs, so you might be right!

Old fashioned bakelite fusebox as well....

On 15/12/2020 at 16:07, RiffRaff said:

All register zero voltage output.

(Did also check a 240v job just in case the meter was playing up!) 

We do go through a lot of light bulbs, so you might be right!

Old fashioned bakelite fusebox as well....

Not sure use of light bulbs is an indication of needing a rewire, but you would do well to get your fuse box changed for something with rcd protection, at which point the wiring would also be tested.

Edited by Bargepole23

1 minute ago, Bargepole23 said:

Not sure use of light bulbs is an indication of needing a rewire, but you would do well to get your fuse box changed for something with rcd protection, at which point the wiring would also be tested.

We must get around to it.

We did ask some sparky pal some time ago, but he came back with some paperwork requirement-or-other that he didn't at that time possess.

I'm not sure if the same would apply to you, but a couple of years back my dad got his original (as in, the one installed when his house was built in the 40s) fusebox replaced for free by either the council or electric company.

He gave them a phonecall and explained that it was unsafe, they came out for a nosey and then booked to replace it.

Watching them do the mains cable going into the house was crazy...they cut it and reconnect it together while it's all still live!

Earlier this year I booked a visit from my electricity supplier to install a smart meter. The engineer got to my house, took one look at the 1940's metal switch box that is on the incoming electrical cable, and said he couldn't touch it. Apparently the old switch box, which is before the meter and consumer unit, makes it impossible to properly isolate the mains supply. I have no idea how to get this switch box replaced, does anyone have any ideas? (BTW my house was rewired in 2007 and the sparky who did that didn't mention anything about the main switch).

BTW this is what the box looks like if anyone is interested:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6UczARoffX3aZB927

Edited by andysm
Add pic.

3 hours ago, andysm said:

Earlier this year I booked a visit from my electricity supplier to install a smart meter. The engineer got to my house, took one look at the 1940's metal switch box that is on the incoming electrical cable, and said he couldn't touch it. Apparently the old switch box, which is before the meter and consumer unit, makes it impossible to properly isolate the mains supply. I have no idea how to get this switch box replaced, does anyone have any ideas? (BTW my house was rewired in 2007 and the sparky who did that didn't mention anything about the main switch).

BTW this is what the box looks like if anyone is interested:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6UczARoffX3aZB927

Contact the DNO...distribution network operator....Northern Powergrid if you're in Sheffield and ask them about a replacement. The installation before the meter is the property of the DNO and they are responsible for it. They will most likely come and replace it for free.

I had exactly the same in a house I own, and did the above and it was swapped.

As for changing the meter, not many houses have anything other than the main fuse before the meter, certainly not many have a switch isolator.

Edited by Bargepole23