Hillsborough Corner Always Flooded

This has been ongoing now for years and I am amazed that nothing ever gets done to rectify this. At the junction  of Walkley Lane and Holme Lane whenever there's  moderate rainfall there's a huge puddle forms, with enough dirty water to fill a swimming pool.  It looks like something from the middle ages or a Dickens novel and any passing pedestrian is liable to suffer a serious soaking.

Now, I'm no drainage expert but should it take anything more than a 15M run of drain pipe, discharging into the river.  The place looks a complete eyesore, but it now seems to be a permanant feature.

Edited by Magneteer

12 hours ago, Magneteer said:

This has been ongoing now for years and I am amazed that nothing ever gets done to rectify this. At the junction  of Walkley Lane and Holme Lane whenever there's  moderate rainfall there's a huge puddle forms, with enough dirty water to fill a swimming pool.  It looks like something from the middle ages or a Dickens novel and any passing pedestrian is liable to suffer a serious soaking.

Now, I'm no drainage expert but should it take anything more than a 15M run of drain pipe, discharging into the river.  The place looks a complete eyesore, but it now seems to be a permanant feature.

Yes, I agree. I’m sure in this age of technology, something could be done.

On 13/12/2020 at 20:15, Magneteer said:

You're right, your no expert.

Apart from the tram lines, buildings, roads, footpaths and the bridge it'd be easy :)

You'd be digging away from from the tramlines, they dig footpaths up all the time ( no big deal) and no need to touch the bridge, go through behind the bus stop.  The short disruption would be well worth it.

Edited by Magneteer

11 hours ago, mike84 said:

You're right, your no expert.

Apart from the tram lines, buildings, roads, footpaths and the bridge it'd be easy :)

Wrong attitude - So do you just leave it then cos it's a bit of a hard job?

Wonder how they managed to build York Minster and similar.

Seems we are pretty useless at everything these days which is why we usually call on the Chinese.

Britains changed since I was a lad.  and we should be ashamed.

It's a big puddle if that. Doesn't even stop the trams running through.

Another terrible one is West St tram stop .

Anything like decent rain and a huge pool forms and West St being busy means anyone at the stop or the pavement can get soaked.

There's a drain about 3 foot away ,a man and stillsaw could fix it in an half hour.

16 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Wrong attitude - So do you just leave it then cos it's a bit of a hard job?

Wonder how they managed to build York Minster and similar.

Seems we are pretty useless at everything these days which is why we usually call on the Chinese.

Britains changed since I was a lad.  and we should be ashamed.

Wrong attitude. Are you involved with any UK infrastructure, nuclear, energy or other large engineering projects?

I can tell you that we are far from useless, and believe me, they are hard jobs, from a technical, commercial and programme standpoint.

Edited by Bargepole23

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Wrong attitude. Are you involved with any UK infrastructure, nuclear, energy or other large engineering projects?

I can tell you that we are far from useless, and believe me, they are hard jobs, from a technical, commercial and programme standpoint.

So was everything we did from the industrial revolution onwards but we managed it.

Now, we have to call in some foreign company instead - this tells me that we must be useless.

38 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

So was everything we did from the industrial revolution onwards but we managed it.

Now, we have to call in some foreign company instead - this tells me that we must be useless.

Your lack of understanding of the breadth of modern engineering is embarrassing at best. Do you think a country of our size can maintain world class expertise across all areas of modern engineering? Not to mention being able to provide all the financial and logistical resource to enable it.

How do you think UK engineering is able to sell to the global market? Because they also have the same limitations as us.

To dismiss all that as "useless", shameful.

WE were leading the world in modern engineering before both you and I were born and we maintained that world class expertise for many many years.

We now, according to you, have such an expert knowledge that someone like me can fail to comprehend and yet, we cannot undertake so many large projects

or even little flood prevention schemes.

I seem to recall that it was flooding there in the 70's before the supertram was even built.  There were also similar floods in many other parts of Sheffield too.

If you or anyone else has such vast knowledge of modern engineering and yet small projects such as this, are "too hard" to undertake or pay for then I still say " we must be useless."

It's not my dismissal that's shameful but the fact that a small project like that, can't be done.

Must admit I've wondered why this have never been solved(usually when driving though it) , especially as there is the river Loxley to use an outlet just a few feet away. Really could do with addressing as it leaves everywhere filthy after drying up.