South Yorkshire / Derbyshire Border Meeting Place

We want to meet the grandparents in a socially distanced way. As we're not allowed out of our respective counties (S Yorks and Derbys) at present and they're no longer in a childcare bubble I thought we could meet outdoors on the border but without over-stepping it at any point. A sort of Covid-19 Checkpoint Charlie.

Do you have any ideas where would be a good place?

We need somewhere to park a car safely on both sides and within 2-3 minutes walk of the border meeting point. I've thought of a few but none seem ideal. What would be nice is one where we're on separate banks of a stream or similar. Woodall services is very close to the border but I think it's wholly within S Yorks. Neither car is allowed to drive into the other county at any point remember.

So far I've got:

- Bradway Road towards Dronfield Woodhouse

- A57 near Strines turnoff

- Woodall Services (but maybe no good at all due to boundary location)

- Near Harthill (not sure where border is)

- Rother Valley area somewhere

Edited by Bilge

You can travel out of your respective counties and you can meet in public places.

What you can do and what you should do is a different matter.

Considering the weather forecast you might want to consider a covered shopping area/mall(very high risk) or transport hub/multi-storey car park (low risk)

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Yes, I realise we are free to travel out of S Yorks (for example into Derbyshire) and no border guards or police are likely to stop us doing it. I also know loads of people don't take a blind bit of notice of the guidelines and just do as they like,

It's more a semi-romantic notion of standing on the border between the two counties of Yorks/Derbys.  The ancient regions of Mercia/Northumberland. Midlands/North. Sheff has always had a historic place on this border and seems never to wholly belong in either part.

We'll probably do something which is a compromise and not ideal.

Car park at the Toby Carvery Dronfield. 

Lowedges park. Straddle the stream at the bottom of the park. One foot in Yorkshire. One foot in Derbyshire.

If you get caught it might be 'One foot in the grave'. 

Edited by abbeyedges

Surely Derbyshire and South Yorkshire are both in Tier 3 so there's nothing to prevent you travelling between them?

the idea of greenhill park is ideal as i am chairman of the friends of the park,and the stream is the border,also the bowshaw pub/eating house is on the border.

28 minutes ago, metalman said:

Surely Derbyshire and South Yorkshire are both in Tier 3 so there's nothing to prevent you travelling between them?

Except you’re not supposed to leave your area. Otherwise you could travel all over the North of England and never leave Tier3.

6 minutes ago, Bilge said:

Except you’re not supposed to leave your area. Otherwise you could travel all over the North of England and never leave Tier3.

The "...not suppose to..." is your interpretation of the the word "avoid" which is repeatedly used  in the current guidelines which are:

" avoid travelling outside of your area, including for overnight stays other than where necessary, such as for work, education, youth services, to receive medical treatment, or because of caring responsibilities. You can travel through other areas as part of a longer journey"

and 

"If you live in a Tier 3 area, you must continue to follow Tier 3 rules when you travel to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 area. You must not stay with anyone you do not live with elsewhere in the UK or visit their home (unless you share a support bubble)."

and

"Avoid travelling outside your area, including for overnight stays, other than where necessary, such as:

for work

for education

to access voluntary, charitable or youth services

because of caring responsibilities

for moving home

to visit your support bubble

for a medical appointment or treatment"

Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-3-very-high-alert Published 30 November 2020.

What is "your area" is not defined. 

How about the actual Yorkshire Bridge just down Lydgate Lane from The Yorkshire Bridge Inn? Park somewhere nearby and meet at the River Derwent.

Rother valley country park. If you access from the car park at killamarsh (derbyshire) the border for south Yorkshire has to be somewhere  I'd guess on the football pitches  which will be covered goose poo.