Emulsion Paint Brands

Overdue decision to decorate the lounge just before Christmas.

Hard work. White ceiling and coving.

"One coat" type stuff, because we've been putting it off for months.

Years, actually, so it was known that it would take 2 coats.

It's a split-level ceiling, so different height steps needed. Furniture, as ever, in the way. Plastic dust sheets, with minds of their own.

Dog, in/out of garden. Phone calls. Courier, not for us, wanting to leave next door's parcel. Postman making us jump by rapping on the front door.

Coffee? Out of milk. Break to go for milk etc.

You get the picture.

We started out well, but are both a little "fractious" by now.

3 tins of paint for ceiling. All "vinyl silk" or somesuch, 2 Crown, 1 Dulux. Perhaps other way round. They're down in cellar now as ceiling finished.

Ceiling not finished this morning!

Definite difference in appearance.

Difference "shine" where first paint type ran out.

Even at 8.30 a.m., on a dull Saturday morning, you can tell where the "join" is.

Question is, do we live with and crack on with the walls, or must we - God forbid - have to give the ceiling a third coat?!

That would take most of today....

It’s bugging you now the more you leave it the more it will bug you so paint it you have my sympathy decorating is a particular hate of mine.

Yes - once you notice something like this the niggle just grows...Sorry!

There are so many versions of "Crown" and "Dulux".  Don't buy the stuff they nmake for the big sheds - 75% extra, blah blah which has the consistency of milk. And fat free milk at that. Ten coats won't cover a pencil mark. 

You will pay more, but buy the trade paint used by decorators.  Lowes on Abbeydale Road will sell you some - although there are other retailers.  You won't go back to the time-wasting "budget" rubbish. 

2 hours ago, Cyclecar said:

There are so many versions of "Crown" and "Dulux".  Don't buy the stuff they nmake for the big sheds - 75% extra, blah blah which has the consistency of milk. And fat free milk at that. Ten coats won't cover a pencil mark. 

You will pay more, but buy the trade paint used by decorators.  Lowes on Abbeydale Road will sell you some - although there are other retailers.  You won't go back to the time-wasting "budget" rubbish. 

Agreed.  Go to a Dulux paint centre or some other trade outlet/decorator centre.

23 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Overdue decision to decorate the lounge just before Christmas.

Hard work. White ceiling and coving.

"One coat" type stuff, because we've been putting it off for months.

Years, actually, so it was known that it would take 2 coats.

It's a split-level ceiling, so different height steps needed. Furniture, as ever, in the way. Plastic dust sheets, with minds of their own.

Dog, in/out of garden. Phone calls. Courier, not for us, wanting to leave next door's parcel. Postman making us jump by rapping on the front door.

Coffee? Out of milk. Break to go for milk etc.

You get the picture.

We started out well, but are both a little "fractious" by now.

3 tins of paint for ceiling. All "vinyl silk" or somesuch, 2 Crown, 1 Dulux. Perhaps other way round. They're down in cellar now as ceiling finished.

Ceiling not finished this morning!

Definite difference in appearance.

Difference "shine" where first paint type ran out.

Even at 8.30 a.m., on a dull Saturday morning, you can tell where the "join" is.

Question is, do we live with and crack on with the walls, or must we - God forbid - have to give the ceiling a third coat?!

That would take most of today....

Well, we decided to give the damn ceiling a third coat. It now "shines" the same right across.

Then it was on to the walls. Some kind of dirty yellow matt emulsion. Not my choice, but anything for a "peaceful life". I think you'll get the gist...

Confirmation that I can't paint in a straight line...edge of wall/ceiling to coving/skirting.

1" to 3" brushes or roller...makes no difference.

"I can just get a little closer to that edge...I'm nearly there now...just a couple of mm's and then call it done....Hell! Have you got a rag?  Kitchen roll? Anything, for God's sake?!"

11pm. We sit down. 3 walls gone, 2 coats. One wall to go. So much for having Sunday off from painting.

Even the dog's huffing and puffing. Wherever he goes, he's in the way.

We're peed off. He's peed off.

Paint on carpet. "You must've done that"...

How does one spot of paint manage to miss a 5m x 4m sheet of plastic?

My wrists ache. My knees are aflame. My shoulders are not mine.

I woke this morning with cramp, right ankle.

Bounced around a bit, managed to get rid.

9am. 3rd coffee, typing this.

The place is a mess. All furniture in the middle, toe-stubbingly dangerous. Even the dog's not come down yet. Don't blame him.

Staring at the final wall.

Oh joy....