Anyone Know About Dss.?

A friends son is on disability benefit.  I don't know how much you are aĺlowed to have in the bank before they stop/deduct your money, she has told me that he wants to put money in her account., she isn't on benefits,would this be allowed or classed as fraud/ deception or something similar?  I nothing about how this works as I have never had dealings  with the DSS.  Any information would be helpful.  Thank you in advance.

If he's already claiming a benefit and has a little bit left over that he wants to put in an account in his mum's name is probably ok. It should definitely be ok if he struggles to manage his money because of his age or because of a health condition or disability. Where it gets less ok is if people put money somewhere to hide it from the DWP so that they qualify for benefits that they wouldn't qualify for otherwise. This is called Deprivation of capital

5 hours ago, scousemouse said:

A friends son is on disability benefit.  I don't know how much you are aĺlowed to have in the bank before they stop/deduct your money, she has told me that he wants to put money in her account., she isn't on benefits,would this be allowed or classed as fraud/ deception or something similar?  I nothing about how this works as I have never had dealings  with the DSS.  Any information would be helpful.  Thank you in advance.

I think it's  £6k in the bank before they start reducing the money.

6 hours ago, scousemouse said:

They could put £2,000 in to their pension, would that bring down their savings enough?

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

They could put £2,000 in to their pension, would that bring down their savings enough?

Shifting money into a pension for the purpose of reducing capital to increase benefit entitlement is extremely likely to count as deprivation of capital, especially if they have never transferred a lump sum into a pension fund before.

Its a pension contribution.

Edited by El Cid

47 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Its a pension contribution.

Yeah, I'm not really sure you get the concept of deprivation of capital. It doesn't matter if it's a pension contribution or you buy a car or whatever, if the DWP think you've done it to increase your benefit entitlement they can take you to court and the judge decides. I helped someone with this, we had to provide the DWP with months' worth of bank statements which they went though line by line and queried any large spends, because they thought she was trying to pull a fast one. The rules don't say you can't spend any money or you can't move some around, but it's not fair to say to someone that they can just do this or that when it could land them in trouble.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:06, scousemouse said:

Disability DLA or PIP is non means tested, so savings are irrelevant. You only have to worry about savings if he's on other benefits where savings should be declared...known as means tested.

You would hope 9 months down the line its all been sorted.