Sign in to follow this  

What Do People Think Of The Police ' Cash For Weapons Scheme'

"Owners of weapons such as knives, knuckle-dusters and rifles are being offered cash to hand them in to police.

The Offensive Weapons Act comes into force next year, and items banned under it can be surrendered under a three-month scheme in England and Wales.

Compensation for lawful owners ranges from £2 to £5,105 for each item - but the total value of a claim must be at least £30.

The National Police Chiefs Council said the scheme would make streets safer".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55260166

If it saves lives I`m all for it.

I'll go out on a limb here, but I think most of the surrendering is done by law-abiding types who have come into possessing items like that by inheritance or chance.

It's pointless giving cash to them, they're doing it out of civism, as right-thinking members of society.

What you won't get, is precisely the kind of people who make the street unsafe, to hand in their weapons.

So it should be spun out as an amnesty (hand it in and you won't get done; don't and have the book thrown at you if we catch you), no cash involved.

Edited by L00b

It's a necessary evil.

I'd rather the police gave someone a few quid for a dangerous weapon instead of it being out on the streets and available for use.

5 hours ago, L00b said:

What you won't get, is precisely the kind of people who make the street unsafe, to hand in their weapons

That is also my belief.

2 hours ago, geared said:

I'd rather the police gave someone a few quid for a dangerous weapon instead of it being out on the streets and available for use.

Agree. A life is much more precious than  money.

Edited by Janus
Typo