Three Ingredients Dessert Christmas Recipe

I remember my friend’s mother making this ginger biscuit log cake in the 1980s at Christmas time.  It was lovely and moist and I couldn’t believe it was made with ginger biscuits.  Think I’m going to have ago at making one.

Ingredients

1 packet ginger biscuits

250ml (10 fl oz) double cream 

Sherry or sweet wine or orange juice (about 150 ml/5 fl oz) 

Method

1. Whip the cream until thick and spreadable 

2. Pour some wine or whatever dunking liquid you choose to use into a saucer

3. Dip biscuit into the liquid

4. Spread biscuit with cream 

5. Sandwich with another biscuit which has been dipped in the liquid of your choice and then build up a roll of liquid/biscuit/cream. You might have to hold the first few biscuits together until it gets longer.

6. Remaining cream should then be spread over the roll. Use a fork to make lines.  When finished put the biscuit log in the fridge for about 5 hours.  It should be moist and spongy when cut.  

Back then my friends mum used Sherry to dunk the biscuits in but I’m going to use Baileys Cream, then squash a chocolate flake bar and sprinkle it on the log.

Hi again Hauxwell. My go-to 3 ingredient recipe is for lemonade scones. This makes about 10. 

400g self raising flour

175ml double cream

175ml of very cold lemonade (full sugar lemonade - not the low-cal stuff)

Pre-heat oven to 22c, 200 fan, 475f, gas 7

sift flour into bowl

stir in wet ingredients and mix to soft dough

tip onto floured surface and roll out to approx 2.5cm thick

cut out with 6cm cutter

Bake for 12-15 mins, widely spaced on a baking tray.

This only really works well with plain scones. You can add raisins or sultanas when you make the mix, but the scones turn out flatter and drier after baking.

Happy new year to you!  This is my first Sheff forum  post of 2021. 

23 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Hi again Hauxwell. My go-to 3 ingredient recipe is for lemonade scones. This makes about 10. 

400g self raising flour

175ml double cream

175ml of very cold lemonade (full sugar lemonade - not the low-cal stuff)

Pre-heat oven to 22c, 200 fan, 475f, gas 7

sift flour into bowl

stir in wet ingredients and mix to soft dough

tip onto floured surface and roll out to approx 2.5cm thick

cut out with 6cm cutter

Bake for 12-15 mins, widely spaced on a baking tray.

This only really works well with plain scones. You can add raisins or sultanas when you make the mix, but the scones turn out flatter and drier after baking.

Happy new year to you!  This is my first Sheff forum  post of 2021. 

happy new year to you.

Well how strange is that, I’ve been looking at scone recipes in an old BeRo cook book that my aunt gave me years ago, I was thinking of making some later on.  So I will hold on to your scone recipe.  

I made a version of your veggie curry, it was lovely, it also freezes very well.

I made my ginger biscuit log roll.  I used ginger wine to dunk the biscuits in.  It was nice and moist and just how I remember it.

I’ve been looking at recipes for risotto made with pearl barley on google.  Never made it before.  I’m beginning to enjoy cooking.  Think I have had to many ready meals in the past. 

Cheers Hauxwell. I'm happy that you liked your version of my veggie curry recipe and I hope the "lemonade scones" turn out well for you too. By coincidence, my elderly mum's favourite recipe book is an ancient BeRo  cookbook and she swears by their scones recipe. If I'm honest, I think the BeRo scones are the nicest, but the lemonade scones are handy if you're in a rush, because it only takes a couple of minutes to mix the ingredients and they are quick to cook.

I also make a decent pearl barley risotto, which most of my friends like when I cook it for them.   The favourite version seems to be my chicken & mushroom risotto. I make it pretty much the same as a rice risotto.  I'd be happy to post you my recipe, if you'd find it useful.

On 06/01/2021 at 18:55, FIRETHORN1 said:

Cheers Hauxwell. I'm happy that you liked your version of my veggie curry recipe and I hope the "lemonade scones" turn out well for you too. By coincidence, my elderly mum's favourite recipe book is an ancient BeRo  cookbook and she swears by their scones recipe. If I'm honest, I think the BeRo scones are the nicest, but the lemonade scones are handy if you're in a rush, because it only takes a couple of minutes to mix the ingredients and they are quick to cook.

I also make a decent pearl barley risotto, which most of my friends like when I cook it for them.   The favourite version seems to be my chicken & mushroom risotto. I make it pretty much the same as a rice risotto.  I'd be happy to post you my recipe, if you'd find it useful.

Yes please,  I would like your risotto recipe.   

Here it is! This serves about 6 - depending on the size of the appetites of the people scoffing it.

1 tbsp butter

1 tbsp olive oil

2-3  small chicken breasts and about 4-6 boneless thighs - cut into chunks

1-2 garlic cloves -minced

1 large onion or 2 large shallots - finely chopped

300g pearl barley

400g mushrooms - chopped

1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or tarragon (optional)

1 litre chicken stock (stock cubes are fine) 

250ml white wine 

snipped fresh chives & shaved parmesan to serve (optional)

Use a heavy bottomed pan and gently saute onion or shallots & garlic in the oil & butter, until soft.

Add a bit of salt and ground black pepper,  the chunks of chicken & the mushrooms. Stir in the thyme/tarragon if using. Cook 2-3 mins

Add pearl barley, stir in and cook 2-3 mins   

Add wine & stir until absorbed

Add about 3 quarters of the chicken stock and simmer gently (uncovered) for about 40-45 mins, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.

If the mixture starts to look a bit dry, gradually add more of the remaining chicken stock until you get the required consistency 

Serve with a sprinkling of chopped chives and parmesan shavings - if required.

Goes well with any green vegetable - eg broccoli, beans,  frozen peas etc.  A friend of mine also stirs in a couple of tablespoons of double cream or creme  fraiche just before serving  - but I prefer it without. 

2 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Here it is! This serves about 6 - depending on the size of the appetites of the people scoffing it.

1 tbsp butter

1 tbsp olive oil

300g pearl barley

400g mushrooms - chopped

250ml white wine 

Use a heavy bottomed pan and gently saute onion or shallots & garlic in the oil & butter, until soft.

Add a bit of salt and ground black pepper,  the chunks of chicken & the mushrooms. Stir in the thyme/tarragon if using. Cook 2-3 mins

Add about 3 quarters of the chicken stock and simmer gently (uncovered) for about 40-45 mins, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.

If the mixture starts to look a bit dry, gradually add more of the remaining chicken stock until you get the required consistency 

Goes well with any green vegetable - eg broccoli, beans,  frozen peas etc.  A friend of mine also stirs in a couple of tablespoons of double cream or creme  fraiche just before serving  - but I prefer it without. 

Thank you for the recipe, I’ve made a note of it.  There was another recipe I looked at and it also had white wine as one of the ingredients.  I wonder what the wine does, I’m sure it must be for flavour.

2 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

1 tbsp butter

1 tbsp olive oil

300g pearl barley

400g mushrooms - chopped

250ml white wine 

Your recipe sounds lovely, but can I be a bit of a pedant?  It's not risotto, because risotto is made up of rice.  Yours is orzotto, made up of barley.

Yes Medusa - I agree that this recipe is really orzotto rather than risotto. I find orzo quite difficult to get hold of, so pearl barley is the next best thing.

As for Hauxwell's comment about using white wine in recipes - well, I'm a bit self-indulgent and tend to use alcohol in a lot of my recipes - especially when I'm cooking to entertain friends and trying to show off a bit! I use booze in most things that I cook in a sauce or a gravy. I use white wine with chicken, fish and seafood dishes, red wine in red meaty dishes like bolognese/meat ragu type sauces, ale or stout in traditional British recipes, like stews, casseroles, steak & ale pies etc - and dry sherry or rice wine in oriental style recipes - like sweet & sour stir-fries. I also occasionally use brandy or madeira or marsala when cooking stuff like beef stroganoff, chicken madeira etc.  A splash or two of booze just adds a bit of extra richness and extra flavour to most recipes!