Time To Hoard, Panic Buy?

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Don't panic buy as such, but it would be wise to buy a little more very long term food supplies with every shop over the next 2 to 3  weeks. Dried foods and tinned stuff.

Tracking logistics people's comments atm, the problem isn't so much the clogged supply chains now (because every last UK business is trying to stock up in readiness for January), as ever more EU suppliers refusing to take new UK orders now as well, until the situation -in particular operational customs requirements and procedures- clears up acc.to whether there is a deal or not.

TL;DR: shelves are unlikely to get bare over the next few weeks, because there's still so much stuff backed up in logistics and slowly arriving...but with nothing getting loaded and then freighted starting in a couple weeks' time, shelves might start to get bare thereafter.

Similar advice that I gave to my parents back in 1999 with the millenium bug - don't go mad but maybe get a few extra of the long life things you would use anyway

Neither scenario should (or did in 2000) end up in armageddon but a few supply hiccups and delays are entirely possible.

On 14/12/2020 at 11:35, geared said:

Piece on Sky news this morning literally said expect shortages of fresh fruit and veg for till Spring.

Everyone is gunna stockpile if the large media outlets are running those kind of stories.

Come Spring You’re going to have a rotting, smelly mess if you’re stock piling fresh fruit and veg

Tried to update tomorrow's supermarket delivery last night.

Tins of baked beans amongst other things.

"Out of stock"

Come on, Sainsbury's!

Get a grip!!

Judging by past years,with no Brexit or Covid threats,it’s hard to believe that some shoppers could stock pile any more.

Trolleys piled high with every possible requirement because the shops are closed for a day or so.

Perhaps a few shortages and some control of the number of shoppers would not go amiss.

Been shopping today, admittingly only to Home Bargains, but the shelves were empty.

Wonder if a bit of panic is creeping in. What with all these lorries stacked up you can't really blame people.

I’ve just been shopping at the Asda Metro Centre Gateshead and they only thing they didn’t have was  bananas, but it’s early days let’s see what happens if France continues its ban.

Just been reported on the  news, only certain Supermarkets are putting a Caps on the usual items, Pasta, Rice ect, all Supermarkets should jump on board and stop these Greedy Idiots.   :roll:

Went to Morrisons yesterday evening, fresh fruit and veg was in short supply but nothing else was.

I work in a supermarket and totally  agree despite their best efforts there are few shortages and we are no busier than you would expect this time of year.

I've been to Aldi and Asda today and there was plenty of everything. This was at 7:00pm. 

Reports from the tinfoil towers expeditionary force suggest Aldi had plenty of everything this evening. Bit busier, some stuff missing but swapped for Christmas stuff like any other year.

From the perspective of someone living in France, I'm doing my best to hoard whatever UK beer I can get my hands on - especially a decent IPA as I think the French seem to think IPA means "Include Prussic Acid" - at best most tastes like it's been brewed  using rusty nails.

Have a decent stock of Brewdog Punk and Dead Pony Club. Will be clearing it from the shelves again next week.