Coffee! instant vs filte ground coffee?

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Agree on everything you say except Kenco Columbian for me.  Couple of spoonfuls & no milk or sugar. 

I'm not convinced that the average person could spot the difference between a strong cup of black instant & something that's spent a half hour percolating in water, previously melted from pure ice, brought down by a Sherpa from the top of Everest.   Some will just convince themselves it's better & spend a fortune on buying the equipment needed...

Being an average person who just likes coffee, I can certainly spot the difference between a strong (two spoonfuls) cup of black instant (Kenco Columbian ­– or even Nescafe Alta Rica) and a basic supermarket brand ground coffee, percolated in Sheffield tap water for a couple of minutes in my £12.50 stove-top Moka pot. I think I can also spot coffee snobbery – inverted or otherwise.

Much more of thirst quenching tea drinker, loose leaf in a tea kettle but will use a good quality bag for a quick brew. For a very occasional (too occasional to invest in a machine/pods) coffee I have a cafeteria but have recently discovered coffee bags which are ok for the instant coffee hater me but probably wouldn’t satisfy the purist

On 08/12/2020 at 13:57, Arnold_Lane said:

Have you tried a Moka pot?  

Yes, we use it occasionally but we tend to make a full pot of coffee in the morning and drink that through the day.

17 hours ago, Longcol said:

We use a similar coffee maker and "Carte Noir" coffee - here in France it's usually on offer about 3 times a year in the supermarkets so is reasonably inexpensive. First came across it when we holidayed over here about 5 years ago. Stayed in a b&b near Monet's Garden and the host served it for breakfast.

Best coffee we've ever had was Venice Lido from a stand just at the back of the beach - closely followed by the cafe in the courtyard at the Pitti Palace in Florence.

Ah, Carte Noir (other French brands are available). We usually bring a load of it back when we have our annual French holiday. 

Been drinking coffee for 35+ years now, and always black.

De Longhi bean to cup coffee machine for the last few years (5+, I think) and currently we're using Melita's BellaCrema 'espresso' grains (€6-7/kg). The result is indistinguishable from one served at a local café, and that is high praise indeed.

I'm looking to buy a coffee pod machine. Does anyone have any buying advice or recommendations please?

Don’t drink coffee too often, preferring several mugs of Rosie Lea a day. However, now and then, I fancy a cup of coffee, not the instant in the cupboard (that’s for the tradesmen) nor the elite time consuming pursuit of machine, blend or pod but a good old coffee bag which satiates my desire, particularly if it contains a slug of liquor.  Following my brief transgression I return to my favoured thirst questioning beverage

I have an Aeropress which makes nice coffee. Good if you only want to make one cup.