Coffee! instant vs filte ground coffee?

I drink both, instant and ground coffee (using one of those aeropress things). To me, instant coffee is missing something in comparison, some essential potency, a ‘kick’ that I get with ground coffee but not instant.

Does that make sense? What’s your experience, how would you describe the difference (between instant and ground), and what’s your ideal cup of coffee?

Edited by Waldo

I’ve got a bean to cup machine which makes excellent coffee in lots of coffee styles. When I used instant it was usually Gold Blend which was ok and convenient but wouldn’t go back. Have you tried grinding your own beans for the Aeropress ? There will be a big difference from pre ground filter coffee.

Thanks for the tip *Wallace*.

I’ve not tried grinding my own beans yet. I keep looking at these manual coffee grinders though, the slim barrel shaped ones, looks like they just may fit inside an aeropress.

A bean to cup machine sounds good too!

We've not used instant for many decades neither do we adulterate the coffee with milk or sugar. To me, anything other than black is a coffee flavoured milk drink.

We've tried all variety of coffee makers and the simplest we found was a glass cafetiere but after too many breakages we now use a coffee maker, the sort with a hot plate. This doesn't give a particularly hot cup so we give the mugs a quick blast in the microwave for 10 seconds.

We tend to use a blend of decaff and caff which allows us to maintain decent taste but doesn't overload us with caffeine.

6 minutes ago, max said:

We've not used instant for many decades neither do we adulterate the coffee with milk or sugar. To me, anything other than black is a coffee flavoured milk drink.

We've tried all variety of coffee makers and the simplest we found was a glass cafetiere but after too many breakages we now use a coffee maker, the sort with a hot plate. This doesn't give a particularly hot cup so we give the mugs a quick blast in the microwave for 10 seconds.

We tend to use a blend of decaff and caff which allows us to maintain decent taste but doesn't overload us with caffeine.

Have you tried a Moka pot?  

Edited by Arnold_Lane

We bought one of the GAT Bella stovetop jobs a good few years ago.

Brilliant it was, too.

The novelty wore off after a month-or-so. Who wants to prat about for 15 minutes waiting for a cup of coffee?! I've better things to not do...

Back to Nescafe granules - heaped teaspoonful and a half per mug - job's a good 'un.

Edited by RiffRaff

I have been a coffee lover for about 60 years. I used to fetch an ounce of ground coffee from co-op for my aunt and then watch her make herself a cup. The smell was amazing. I had a taste and have never drunk tea since. We have both instant and ground. Instant - nescafe espresso, ground - Tesco French 5. Have tried various methods of brewing, cafetiere, percolator, electric coffee jug. I am at the moment using a coffee kettle and glass jug with metal filter (ikea). That's the best method so far. The electric coffee jugs are not hot enough (thanks to eu regs). They say coffee should not be made with boiling water but I prefer mine very hot, very strong and very black. I have at least 3 cups ground for breakfast and 1 or 2 cups espresso during day.

For what it's worth, we've found a great way to get the best from instant coffee; in our case Nescafe. Wouldn't satisfy the purists or those that prefer their coffee black but here goes. Dissolve the coffee in the milk rather than the water. What we do is put the coffee into a third of a cup of milk and then put it into the microwave. With practice you learn the amount of time it takes to get it to the point where there's froth on the top but just before the whole lot ends up all over the inside of the microwave🤨 Then give it a stir and top up with hot water from the kettle. The difference between this and the usual quick method is simply astonishing.

Recently, I have had to give up all dairy/calcium products.

For years I have much  preferred tea, but I cannot cope with having no milk in my tea.

I can drink coffee without milk and at the moment I am reliving my student days of black instant coffee.

Any suggestions for a brand/method  for a "session" coffee?

Or

Any suggestions for a "whitener" for tea that does not contain  calcium or Vitamin D and does not taste of glue?

1 hour ago, Paul_ said:

For what it's worth, we've found a great way to get the best from instant coffee; in our case Nescafe. Wouldn't satisfy the purists or those that prefer their coffee black but here goes. Dissolve the coffee in the milk rather than the water. What we do is put the coffee into a third of a cup of milk and then put it into the microwave. With practice you learn the amount of time it takes to get it to the point where there's froth on the top but just before the whole lot ends up all over the inside of the microwave🤨 Then give it a stir and top up with hot water from the kettle. The difference between this and the usual quick method is simply astonishing.

I'm not a huge coffee lover, way too bitter for me , much prefer tea as a hot drink. But I do like a milky coffee from time to time.

I'll try your method.

I do like the instant lattees or cappuccinos you can buy at Marks and Spencer. Very nice😍

6 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

We bought one of the GAT Bella stovetop jobs a good few years ago.

Brilliant it was, too.

The novelty wore off after a month-or-so. Who wants to prat about for 15 minutes waiting for a cup of coffee?! I've better things to not do...

Back to Necafe granules - heaped teaspoonful and a half per mug - job's a good 'un.

Agree on everything you say except Kenco Columbian for me.  Couple of spoonfuls & no milk or sugar. 

I'm not convinced that the average person could spot the difference between a strong cup of black instant & something that's spent a half hour percolating in water, previously melted from pure ice, brought down by a Sherpa from the top of Everest.   Some will just convince themselves it's better & spend a fortune on buying the equipment needed.  

It's a bit like the toaster I saw in John Lewis a while back for around £150 & expensive, real. craft ale.   The Emperor's new clothes!

Edited by Baron99

6 hours ago, max said:

We use a similar coffee maker and "Carte Noir" coffee - here in France it's usually on offer about 3 times a year in the supermarkets so is reasonably inexpensive. First came across it when we holidayed over here about 5 years ago. Stayed in a b&b near Monet's Garden and the host served it for breakfast.

Best coffee we've ever had was Venice Lido from a stand just at the back of the beach - closely followed by the cafe in the courtyard at the Pitti Palace in Florence.

Edited by Longcol