Scalping(Buying, Then Selling Items Immediately) At Much Higher Prices

2 hours ago, soopah said:

At least on the Xbox Series * you can play your existing games, but if you have existing games....why not just play them on your existing system until you can just walk into a shop?

You can on the PS5 too 👍

Or just buy a PC as all Xbox games are available on PCs.

As such I don't really get what the point of the Xbox console is.

At least with the Playstation the exclusives are only available on the console, so I can get the point, or I will get the point when the games are released 😂

On 07/12/2020 at 20:58, L00b said:

Is that on eBay?

Because scalper-organised and -run shilling is rife at the best of times, but never more so than for ultra-high-demand items like e.g. PS5s on the run-up to Xmas.

1 (make-believe) 'sale' at £2k, with Xmas tic-toc-clock and delivery times dwindling down, and suddenly that 100%-150% markup on the RRP is starting to look like a reyt bargin ;)

Like others have posted, that can only be eradicated by self-starving demand. So don't buy them.

Yes it’s on eBay.  Still for sale though if your interested 😂😂Now found one at £8000  buy it tonight and have it delivered this Friday. What a bargain   Or there is another for a nice round £1000000 if you have the money 

Edited by rudds1

10 hours ago, rudds1 said:

Yes it’s on eBay.  Still for sale though if your interested 😂😂Now found one at £8000  buy it tonight and have it delivered this Friday. What a bargain   Or there is another for a nice round £1000000 if you have the money 

I gave up on eBay years ago (my eBay account is 23 years old, can you believe it?!? :shocked:) and although I haven't given up on videogames, I am long long cured of early-adopter syndrome.

Sega's Dreamcast is the last console that I bought at launch for the launch RRP, and the most I've ever spent on any videogame item was £500 + courrier, for a full-size Konami GTI Club arcade cabinet (upright, however, not sitdown) ;)

If I wasn't shopping for a house atm, I'd consider treating myself to an original Out Run arcade cab (midi upright, my favourite). Significantly more £s for one of those in good working order, relative to a scalpy PS5...and a minter will be in touching distance of that £8k you mention.

But same with that sort of stuff, nowadays: never on eBay.

Edited by L00b

Some one on FB is asking 250 for series S Xbox, no shortage of them so what is going on? he even shows the receipt again with 249.00 as the cost price

1 hour ago, gamezone07 said:

Some one on FB is asking 250 for series S Xbox, no shortage of them so what is going on? he even shows the receipt again with 249.00 as the cost price

I think it’s the Series X that’s out of stock everywhere.

MSI have been accused of letting one of their subsidiaries practice scalping. Mind you a shipment of theirs of RTX 3090's worth 2.2M Yuan has been stolen in China. Unfortunately many of the legit online PC parts sellers are also highly inflating prices because of supply and demand. A Ryzen 5 5600x CPU had a manufacturers RRP of £299.99 when released yet some sellers have already upped the price from anything from £420 to over £499. An RTX 3070 card that was £489 is now £589. Some have also stopped adding prices till stocks are in. 

15 hours ago, apelike said:

MSI have been accused of letting one of their subsidiaries practice scalping. Mind you a shipment of theirs of RTX 3090's worth 2.2M Yuan has been stolen in China. Unfortunately many of the legit online PC parts sellers are also highly inflating prices because of supply and demand. A Ryzen 5 5600x CPU had a manufacturers RRP of £299.99 when released yet some sellers have already upped the price from anything from £420 to over £499. An RTX 3070 card that was £489 is now £589. Some have also stopped adding prices till stocks are in. 

We used to do similar when I worked for an online PC Parts retailer.  New processor or graphics card came out, we'd buy the UK's entire stock to stop the likes of Ebuyer and Overclockers getting them.
We'd then up the price a bit, not take the mickey but we'd be the exclusive retailer for about a week or two, so those folks who absolutely must have the latest payed the premium, and those who would wait got it at normal or discounted pricing.

This was long before the madness of £1000+ graphics cards, and before Ebuyer was the massive company it is now.

People are taking loans with ridiculous APR % to buy the PS5 from scalpers because "it is Christmas and kids wants a PS5". Now, that is something that I can not understand,  or maybe I will, my daughter is  only 3 months old. In any case,  I doubt I will take a loans for gaming console.

1 hour ago, croat77 said:

People are taking loans with ridiculous APR % to buy the PS5 from scalpers because "it is Christmas and kids wants a PS5". Now, that is something that I can not understand,  or maybe I will, my daughter is  only 3 months old. In any case,  I doubt I will take a loans for gaming console.

I know what I’d be telling kids if I had any.  Wait till after Xmas and pay normal price. 

5 hours ago, rudds1 said:

I know what I’d be telling kids if I had any.  Wait till after Xmas and pay normal price. 

Exactly.

It took me a couple of weeks of daily checking sites for news and following Twitter feeds to bag one from Game.

After the New Year most places are meant to be getting more stock anyway.