Meadowhead Roundabout And Traffic Problems

i agree with that except the signage can be misleading in part

On 07/12/2020 at 11:45, RiffRaff said:

The near-misses I've seen seem to involve vehicles travelling from Bowshaw on Chesterfield Road South up to the roundabout, and turning first left on to Greenhill Main Road.

No sooner have they done so, those wishing to take the next right on to Greenhill Avenue have to veer across from the inside lane to the outer...and that's where I've spotted most of the problems - if that lane's already full and stationary because of the approaching traffic stemming from Greenhill Parkway....

Agreed. I sometimes take this route and this particular manouevre is a nightmare when it's busy.

I've never had a problem with using it, I believe I'm using the correct lanes. I only really use it leaving the Audi garage road to come back on myself. I've had people trying to cut across from the inside lane to get onto chesterfield road.

I'm sure I've used the other exits and not had too many problems aswell

Its quite badly marked out as far as white lane markings go.

Approaching from the Audi garage you can only go left if you are in the left lane, but cars often go straight on, cutting into the other lane. More obvious lane separation markings could help here.

Approaching from Greenhill, there are three lanes all indicating that you can go straight on. However, if you choose the right hand lane to go straight on you soon find that once on the roundabout you can't go straight on and have to turn right, meaning cars suddenly cut into the lane to their left to go straight on.

When approaching from Dronfield, you can turn right from within the middle lane, which often surprises the car to your right who is in the inside lane and isn't expecting you to be turning right alongside them. This can also surprise those who are waiting to join the roundabout from Woodseats, who assume you are turning off towards Woodseats.

It could be better signed to cater for those who aren't so observant.

Edited by WarPig

21 hours ago, WarPig said:

Its quite badly marked out as far as white lane markings go.

Approaching from the Audi garage you can only go left if you are in the left lane, but cars often go straight on, cutting into the other lane. More obvious lane separation markings could help here.

Approaching from Greenhill, there are three lanes all indicating that you can go straight on. However, if you choose the right hand lane to go straight on you soon find that once on the roundabout you can't go straight on and have to turn right, meaning cars suddenly cut into the lane to their left to go straight on.

When approaching from Dronfield, you can turn right from within the middle lane, which often surprises the car to your right who is in the inside lane and isn't expecting you to be turning right alongside them. This can also surprise those who are waiting to join the roundabout from Woodseats, who assume you are turning off towards Woodseats.

It could be better signed to cater for those who aren't so observant.

If you're not observant you shouldn't be driving a car.

i have not long since moved to Chesterfield (havent updated my location yet - oops) and hadnt had much previous experience with Meadowhead roundabout as i had no reason to visit this end of Sheffield, so the first time i wanted to go down Bochum parkway i got into the far right lane as directed by sat nav  ( i was using Waze at the time) which of course was the wrong lane and i ended up coming back round on myself and moved into the correct lane as and when i could so i could exit on Bochum. 

The sat nav is definitely partly responsible however i think its also partially because drivers just try and shovel themselves onto the correct lane - this is not what i was taught by my driving instructor. His advice was either 1 - go back around and try to move into the correct lane if possible or B - leave the roundabout in the lane that you are in and then turn around in a safe place and go back on yourself.  This advice has stayed with me since i passed my test and its something i stick too. 

Another lesson i have learned is not to 100% trust sat nav - when i first passed my test i followed it religiously and probably half looked at road signs whereas experience has taught me that its best to follow road signs ( especially on a roundabout) to find which lane i need to be in ( as well as looking at markings on the road). Cant explain the reason why i went into lane 3 to get on Bochum though - i guess it made sense in my head at the time and i didnt really pay that much attention ( which is also partially the problem). 

Park square and the University roundabout are two of the worst roundabouts imo.

12 hours ago, Wazzock said:

its the ones who are oblivious that are the problem especially when they try and merge 4 lanes into 3 on the roundabout.

Its not like they accelerate and deliberately do it

14 hours ago, Wazzock said:

Doesn't mean someones unobservant if the lane markings are wrong. If theres a big arrow painted on the road surface telling a driver that they can go straight on, when in fact they can't, and doesn't mean the driver is unobservant. In fact it suggests that they are observant for seeing the arrow and getting into that lane.

Edited by WarPig

The problem with markings on the actual road, arrows, etc., is that when the traffic is heavy the markings aren't visible.

8 hours ago, small_hall said:

experience has taught me that its best to follow road signs ( especially on a roundabout) to find which lane i need to be in ( as well as looking at markings on the road).

Sadly, doing this when approaching Meadowhead roundabout from Greenhill can put you in the wrong lane.

All three lanes have arrows painted on the road surface indicating you can go straight on, but in actual fact only the left and centre lane actually go straight on. If you've chosen the right hand lane then as soon as you enter the roundabout you discover that you're now in a lane for only turning right. If you didn't see the arrow painted on the surface of your lane (which you might not in heavy slow moving traffic when the car in front is driving over the arrow), then you'd probably still think you can go straight on, only realising last minute that you can't.

Edited by WarPig

8 hours ago, enntee said:

Considering that the right-hand lane (from Greenhill) has an abbreviated Chesterfield written by the arrow, there are good grounds to support the fact that most incidents are related to the competence of drivers involved.

I always think that arrow is a mistake and needs to be repainted as a right turn arrow.

When I'm going towards Chesterfield from that side I indicate right as I enter that lane as I know that's what I'm going to be doing at the roundabout. Not indicating would be misleading and confusing for others. Even though the lane says straight on only. At that point it might appear there isn't a right turn (to Chesterfield) option at all, you are just following a lane that is going towards 'C'field' and eventually it does go right.

10 hours ago, WarPig said:

Sadly, doing this when approaching Meadowhead roundabout from Greenhill can put you in the wrong lane.

All three lanes have arrows painted on the road surface indicating you can go straight on, but in actual fact only the left and centre lane actually go straight on. If you've chosen the right hand lane then as soon as you enter the roundabout you discover that you're now in a lane for only turning right. If you didn't see the arrow painted on the surface of your lane (which you might not in heavy slow moving traffic when the car in front is driving over the arrow), then you'd probably still think you can go straight on, only realising last minute that you can't.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there's some government advice about not having the turn right lanes signposted with a right arrow in them as, apparently, that can cause confusion and cause people to turn right onto the roundabout - ie go the wrong way round it.

Anecdotally, in over 30 years of driving I've only ever encountered someone going the wrong way round a roundabout once (Owlerbar roundabout - which is a weird roundabout in itself) but encounter, almost weekly, people trying to go straight on in turn-left or turn-right only lanes as they have seen a straight on arrow on the signpost.

From a personal point of view, I'd suggest that advice is wrong.

Edited by whiteowl