Meadowhead Roundabout And Traffic Problems

The near-misses I've seen seem to involve vehicles travelling from Bowshaw on Chesterfield Road South up to the roundabout, and turning first left on to Greenhill Main Road.

No sooner have they done so, those wishing to take the next right on to Greenhill Avenue have to veer across from the inside lane to the outer...and that's where I've spotted most of the problems - if that lane's already full and stationary because of the approaching traffic stemming from Greenhill Parkway....

You can blame sat navs for some of it.

Coming from Chesterfield, LH lane is left and straight over, middle lane is straight over and right and RH lane is right only. However, I have Google Maps navigation on sometimes and it showed the middle lane as left and straight over. I always use the LH lane to go straight over, almost ended up in the side of a Merc that went left from the middle lane.

I swear people pay no attention to any signage or road markings at times.

just been to st james retail park,so at the junction its left only in the left lane marked ,the lane next is forward and left,the next is forward and right and the next is right only,going to st james from bradway it was manic as theres 2 lanes,then exit to st james was blocked ,hence 1 lane forward and traffic stuck wanting to go forward,but couldnt because of the right turn over spill,what a mess.

I often want to go straight on from Meadowhead, towards Chesterfield. It's busy, I stop in the middle lane at the entrance to the RAB.

Then it looks clear, traffic from Greenhill is stopped,  although there is a car on the outside of the RAB heading into town. 

But he doesn't. With his car on the doorhandles he continues on the RAB, just as I start to move ahead.  I just make it, he crosses behind me with his horn blaring,  still in the outside lane, and tries to take out the car inside me who is turning left onto the Parkway. 

Sometimes it makes Owlerton stock cars look civilised. Banger-028-Jaguar-XK150.jpg

11 hours ago, probedb said:

You can blame sat navs for some of it.

Coming from Chesterfield, LH lane is left and straight over, middle lane is straight over and right and RH lane is right only. However, I have Google Maps navigation on sometimes and it showed the middle lane as left and straight over. I always use the LH lane to go straight over, almost ended up in the side of a Merc that went left from the middle lane.

I swear people pay no attention to any signage or road markings at times.

I was just about to write this, a while back I was going straight on in the left hand lane and the woman in the middle lane decided to turn left - couldn't have missed her by much more than a credit card thickness 😕

Wonder if it was the same person as your incident, didn't notice the make of car - was too busy going "oooooh s**t" 😂

31 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

I was just about to write this, a while back I was going straight on in the left hand lane and the woman in the middle lane decided to turn left - couldn't have missed her by much more than a credit card thickness 😕

Wonder if it was the same person as your incident, didn't notice the make of car - was too busy going "oooooh s**t" 😂

Perhaps the answer is in future to use the middle lane to go straight over - then all you've got to worry about are the idiots who will go all the way round in the LH lane to turn right - and the people who will use the outside lane to go straight over  😎

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Perhaps the answer is in future to use the middle lane to go straight over - then all you've got to worry about are the idiots who will go all the way round in the LH lane to turn right - and the people who will use the outside lane to go straight over  😎

Hehe,  I have actually seen both of those situations happen before - live in Woodseats, work in Chesterfield, use the roundabout a lot! I tend to be quite defensive on that roundabout these days and just assume everyone else is an idiot.

Still, digressing slightly, it's not the scariest thing I've seen in that neck of the woods. Coming off the Bowshaw roundabout and heading up to the Meadowhead one, I discovered a woman coming down the outside lane the wrong way. I assume she'd turned right from Low Edges road. Thankfully, I could get in the left hand lane out of the way but looking in the mirror it was carnage! 😂 Thankfully everyone had stopped so there wasn't any major smash or anything.

Back to the roundabout, I have a friend who is a massive Formula One fan - he keeps asking why I don't watch it, I say why bother? It's boring, far more interesting on Meadowhead roundabout at 8am and I actually get to participate! 

On 06/12/2020 at 20:43, MuteWitness said:

I know there's other threads on this roundabout but not sure if they are to do with the old lay out.

I must have bad luck because nearly everytime i enter the roundabout from the audi garage/bochum parkway side to go straight over I get cut up by someone from the left hand lane who then decides they want to go straight.

Anyone else experience this?

The highway code says you are both in the right lane, annoying at times I know

3 minutes ago, barry-333 said:

The highway code says you are both in the right lane, annoying at times 

3 minutes ago, barry-333 said:

2 minutes ago, barry-333 said:

I mean people using the lane for chesterfield then going straight onto the roundabout

On 06/12/2020 at 20:43, MuteWitness said:

I know there's other threads on this roundabout but not sure if they are to do with the old lay out.

I must have bad luck because nearly everytime i enter the roundabout from the audi garage/bochum parkway side to go straight over I get cut up by someone from the left hand lane who then decides they want to go straight.

Anyone else experience this?

The highway code says you are both in the right lane, annoying at times I know.I  Iive on Meadowhead and take the right lane every time and use my signals to suit

Edited by barry-333
addition

2 minutes ago, barry-333 said:

See the link in post #5

17 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

We use this roundabout a lot, and now make a point of playing the "wrong lane game" to see how many people can't understand staying in lanes.

If you pick a lane and stick to it, it's incredibly simple to navigate.

I totally agree