Alex Sabella Dies In Hospital.

Alex Sabella has died. A highly entertaining footballer. Obviously chose the wrong Sheffield club, but he was a superb player.

Sad news.

Very sad news.

Great player who never made the impact he should have done.

Stayed in love with the game til the very end.

So, so sad.

RIP Alex

Condolences to family and friends.

I remember well him coming to Sheffield after a lot of Argentina players put themselves on the  market after their World Cup win in '78, quite a coup for SUFC but his time in England wasn't a huge success.

A class player with quick feet. It’s just a pity he joined us when the rest of the team weren’t on his level .

23 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I remember well him coming to Sheffield after a lot of Argentina players put themselves on the  market after their World Cup win in '78, quite a coup for SUFC but his time in England wasn't a huge success.

But for a supposedly additional £40,000 payment, on top of a £200,000 fee, the Blades could have ended up with a 17 year old Maradona, who went to Barcelona.   I wonder how his career would have turned out, had he come to The Lane? 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/17/the-knowledge-maradona-sheffield-united

Sabella was a second choice. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

But for a supposedly additional £40,000 payment, on top of a £200,000 fee, the Blades could have ended up with a 17 year old Maradona, who went to Barcelona.   I wonder how his career would have turned out, had he come to The Lane? 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/17/the-knowledge-maradona-sheffield-united

Sabella was a second choice. 

Yes a true story.

One of the more naturally gifted and creative players to play for the Blades  over the time I've been watching them and that goes back to the days of Jimmy Hagan. He was an admirable 'substitute' for that other chap from Argentina who could punch above his weight!

Thanks for them memories Alex.

Echo.

Very sad....Lovely and talented footballer,even as an Owl you always got entertainment from watching him play.

Here's a nice piece: 

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/alex-alexandro-sabella-sheffield-dies-19423935

Like how United spent a small fortune, over £2,000 setting up Sabella's house out at Waterthorpe.  I suppose it was in the late 70's.

And he was on a basic wage of £110 per week.  How times change?

Edited by Baron99

On 03/12/2020 at 10:13, Baron99 said:

Report that ex-Blade, Alex Sabella is in hospital. 

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/alejandro-alex-sabella-hospital-argentina-19383100

Good player but totally wasted at the Lane.  He needed more quality around him, than was available at the time. 

Good article from 'Yorkshire Live' but they say that Alex went to Leeds when the Blades were relegated from Division Two when I know he played in the Boxing day derby in December 79 in Division Three.

I don't think Pedro Verde came at the same time as Alex. perhaps a few months later and he only lasted a few games before the Blades released him. Perhaps he was on a game to game basis rather than a contract.

15 hours ago, St Petre said:

Good article from 'Yorkshire Live' but they say that Alex went to Leeds when the Blades were relegated from Division Two when I know he played in the Boxing day derby in December 79 in Division Three.

I don't think Pedro Verde came at the same time as Alex. perhaps a few months later and he only lasted a few games before the Blades released him. Perhaps he was on a game to game basis rather than a contract.

Pedro Verde was around 1979 to 1980 according to what I've been able to find out, so both him & Sabella were at The Lane at the same time.  I can't recall them playing in the same team but they must have been on the pitch together a some stage, although Verde only had 10 games.  He just wasn't what we wanted.  

I remember going to an away game, night match with one of my brothers, think it was a cup game at Doncaster Rovers.  The Blades were losing & for some reason that night, it looked as though Cec Coldwell was calling the shots & put Verde on but he was as bad as the rest of them that night. 

We were stood a few yards from the Blades dugout & my brother took it on himself to get close enough to peer round the corner of the dugout & give Coldwell both barrels, shouting at Coldwell, "What the #@*&?!😵 is going on? * 

I remember Coldwell just looking at him just slowly shaking his head in response. 

Here's another fascinating fact I remember reading years ago.  Pedro Verde is the uncle of footballer, Juan Sebastian Veron & because Verde played for the Blades, one of the clubs Veron has a passing interest in is SUFC. 

Edited by Baron99