The Dambusters Story.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

What on earth are you talking about? Who knows what today's young people would step up and do, if presented with the same set of circumstances. Fortunately, they haven't had to in the main, those that do volunteer for service in the armed forces display exactly the same qualities as those from earlier times.

She was probably talking about the namby pambys who sit behind computer consoles and send drones to bomb foreigners in places continents away.

35 minutes ago, max said:

She was probably talking about the namby pambys who sit behind computer consoles and send drones to bomb foreigners in places continents away.

Doubtful.

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

What on earth are you talking about? Who knows what today's young people would step up and do, if presented with the same set of circumstances. Fortunately, they haven't had to in the main, those that do volunteer for service in the armed forces display exactly the same qualities as those from earlier times.

They havn't had to do it in the main? What about the Falklands, Iraq, Afghanistan,   The post wasn't aimed at our todays serving Forces, it was aimed at the Scroungers and lowlifes ect that cost the Tax payers a fortune.  

Edited by PRESLEY

20 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

They havn't had to do it in the main? What about the Falklands, Iraq, Afghanistan,   The post wasn't aimed at our todays serving Forces, it was aimed at the Scroungers and lowlifes ect that cost the Tax payers a fortune.  

For refernce, here's what I posted - "Who knows what today's young people would step up and do, if presented with the same set of circumstances. Fortunately, they haven't had to in the main, those that do volunteer for service in the armed forces display exactly the same qualities as those from earlier times."

As you can see, I never suggested it was aimed at the armed forces, and the OP has subsequently confirmed that the original post wasn't, and has also suggested that I should have deduced that namby-pambys means drug dealers and other thugs....not sure I've every used the phrase in that context.

What I do despise is the older generation lumping todays youth together as one ineffectual group, and then start pulling out WWII references as a yardstick to measure them by, when in the main they themselves had little or no experience of it, and have benefitted hugely from living through long periods of prosperity in this country.

You're right to reference the Falklands, Iraq, Afghanistan, conflicts nowhere near the scale of WWII, but conflicts where young and not so young people have stepped up and given everything.

Edited by Bargepole23

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Thank you Presley.! He knows exactly who it was aimed at !

Edited by pattricia

I don't rate Dan Snow he has a habit of being selective with his facts and tends to sensationalise things . In all 3 episodes he emphasised that the raid was a turning point in the war ( which it wasn't ) but come the end he offered nothing as to why this was or what the consequences were   

2 hours ago, lobster said:

I don't rate Dan Snow he has a habit of being selective with his facts and tends to sensationalise things . In all 3 episodes he emphasised that the raid was a turning point in the war ( which it wasn't ) but come the end he offered nothing as to why this was or what the consequences were   

Fair point !

18 hours ago, lobster said:

You're right.  The emphasis was on the death of British airmen and 1000+ drownings and how the dams were allowed to be repaired - probably quite quickly.  So  the phrase 'turning point' doesn't apply.

3 hours ago, mikeG said:

You're right.  The emphasis was on the death of British airmen and 1000+ drownings and how the dams were allowed to be repaired - probably quite quickly.  So  the phrase 'turning point' doesn't apply.

I agree with this post. It’s just that when I drive past the Derwent reservoir,I feel a sense of how the pilots must have felt. Also the part where it showed you how all the tests went wrong for the bomb maker was the most exciting part of the programme.

On 05/12/2020 at 11:56, mikeG said:

This is how selective Dan Snow is,  emphasising how quickly the Dams were repaired . But 1) All 3 dams were drained to allow them to be repaired  so they couldn't use the bouncing bomb again , 2) Conventional bombing had allready been ruled out as too difficult or they would have done it earlier 3) one of the unintended consequences of the raid was that the Germans moved thousand of men and anti aircraft defences to  protect all their vunerable infrastructure  , so any future raid would have incurred high  casualties 4)  Preparations for D Day and the softening  up of German defences ( helped by the shift of A A guns ) were taking priority by the time the dams were full again in October