The Dambusters Story.

3 hours ago, pattricia said:

At last some PROPER television !

Was that the Dan Snow one? I do like his work, probably would subscribe to his history channel if it had an app I could add to my telly.

War Factories on Yesterday did a good episode on the Dambusters.

35 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

Was that the Dan Snow one? I do like his work, probably would subscribe to his history channel if it had an app I could add to my telly.

Yes, it was the Dan Snow one. I’ve never seen him so enthusiastic about a programme. It continues tomorrow.  It’s about the bouncing bomb which was tested out on Derwent reservoir before the actual operation. 

31 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

War Factories on Yesterday did a good episode on the Dambusters.

I find it a fascinating story.

Its a hugely entertaining propaganda romp, but . .......

"For all the raid’s audacity and courage; the technical brilliance behind it; and despite the widespread destruction and adverse repercussions for the German war economy that it certainly caused, it did not bring about the long-term crisis for which planners in the Air Ministry and Ministry of Economic Warfare had hoped."

https://www.historyextra.com/period/second-world-war/dambusters-raid-success-effective-second-world-war/

The massive loss of civilian and animal life life was remembered when Artical 56 of the Protocol1 ammendment to the Geneva Convention was  added.

In 1977, Article 56 of the Protocol I amendment to the Geneva Conventions, outlawed attacks on dams "if such attack may cause the release of dangerous forces from the works or installations and consequent severe losses among the civilian population". There is however an exception if "it is used for other than its normal function and in regular, significant and direct support of military operations and if such attack is the only feasible way to terminate such support".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise#After_the_raid

Edited by Flanker7
tidy

20 hours ago, pattricia said:

I find it a fascinating story.

Brilliant programme, very well presented..

I really felt sorry for those young men who gave their lives for our freedom.

Was this in 3 parts? Saw it last night, maybe that was part 2 though? Will have to watch on catchup..

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Was this in 3 parts? Saw it last night, maybe that was part 2 though? Will have to watch on catchup..

Yes, I think it was in three parts Waldo. I only saw it last night, and tonight, so I must have missed the first part. It must have explained more about the pilots as I think Guy Gibson was one. Very brave men, never knowing whether they were going to return from a mission or not. Better than the nammby pambis that we have today !

49 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Very brave men, never knowing whether they were going to return from a mission or not.

Yes, astounding really; their courage and mental fortitude, in the face of, well, likely death. To contemplate it, leaves you without words.

worth checking out from the german perspective. Seems the Germans looked at doing something similar in 1942 a bit close to home with  the Derwent dams

11 hours ago, pattricia said:

Yes, I think it was in three parts Waldo. I only saw it last night, and tonight, so I must have missed the first part. It must have explained more about the pilots as I think Guy Gibson was one. Very brave men, never knowing whether they were going to return from a mission or not. Better than the nammby pambis that we have today !

What on earth are you talking about? Who knows what today's young people would step up and do, if presented with the same set of circumstances. Fortunately, they haven't had to in the main, those that do volunteer for service in the armed forces display exactly the same qualities as those from earlier times.

57 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

What on earth are you talking about? Who knows what today's young people would step up and do, if presented with the same set of circumstances. Fortunately, they haven't had to in the main, those that do volunteer for service in the armed forces display exactly the same qualities as those from earlier times.

Don’t get your knickers in a twist ! You know exactly who the nammby  pammbies are . I was referring to the drug dealers, drug addicts , thieves and scammers etc;