False Leasehold Information From Estate Agent - Should I Complain?

9 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

EA needs to understand about leases, underleases, reversions, etc. Few do.

This is why an intending vendor should consult own solicitor, so that clear title can be verified and produced to EA before marketing even begins. Again, few do!

Yes few due   /estate  agents get you to put  money  down to secure a house and it doesnt  vendor can change there mind youre in bother 

On 01/12/2020 at 14:18, kjonesy said:

I have recently had an offer accepted on a leasehold property in Sheffield. As I'm aware of the potential difficulties of shorter leases, I checked with the estate agent and I was informed on two separate occasions and by two separate people that there were 899 years left on the lease. 

On this basis, I have proceeded with the purchase of the property, spending money on solicitors fees, mortgage fees and a homebuyers survey. 

After a query from my mortgage lender about the length and cost of the leasehold, I contacted the estate agent again to confirm, as well as asking my solicitor to look into this.

The estate agents again told me 899 years. However, my solicitor then informed me that there is in fact only 73 years left on the lease. I relayed this to the estate agent who after some investigating have agreed that they were given the wrong information by the seller.

I am very frustrated and annoyed by this, as I would not have even made an offer if I'd have known the length left on the lease, and I have now spent quite a lot of money on this property. 

Surely the estate agents have some responsibility of checking this information when they are advertising a house. They have told me it's not their fault or responsibility. 

Due to this, as well as numerous issues raised on my homebuyers survey, I am now very much considering withdrawing my offer.

Do I have a leg to stand on to complain to the estate agents? I can't help but feel they are responsible for this waste of my time and money.

Advice would be appreciated!

I think they usually have all kinds of disclaimers in the terms and conditions to dodge liability.

Honestly my experience is you can't trust anything an estate agent says.  Some local firms are well known for their incompetence, which is why its amazing they can charge so much for doing so little.

53 minutes ago, nightrider said:

I think they usually have all kinds of disclaimers in the terms and conditions to dodge liability.

Yes- as I said in post #4.

Surely the EA relys on the vendor to provide information ?

Sounds more like the vendor is at fault.

Why would an EA advertise something they knew to be incorrect and would obviously be found by a solicitor ?

3 hours ago, dan2802 said:

Surely the EA relys on the vendor to provide information ?

Sounds more like the vendor is at fault.

Why would an EA advertise something they knew to be incorrect and would obviously be found by a solicitor ?

Think they will do anything to sell  .Same as i said  had one i looked.    at in there broshure as a private drive when it was shared   . Dont think they check if planning has been granted on extentions either .                                                                       Let the buyer beware i think