Debenhams Is 'Winding Down Its Operations'

It's just been reported that Debenhams is 'winding down its operations'.

I'd be very sad to see it go. 

Get most of my clothes from there.

I've never shopped online for clothes - so much faff trying them on at home, then sending them back if they don't fit....

People will regret buying everything from the internet when all the shops have shut down and they are unable to view anything before they buy them.

Shops not only sell stuff but provide advice and also service when the goods fail.

They also pay their full whack of taxes and the Government and your Local councils are going to see their income drop drastically whilst Amazon etc.  sends all their money to American headquarters.

I once worked for Debenhams  (and Pauldens before them)  and they were great companies to work for in the old days with a lovely family atmosphere.

All progress seems to be backwards these days.

That will be 25,000 employees that are unemployed, poorer and unable to pay their rent/mortgage without help from the Government.

All because we were not prepared and the NHS could not cope.

I disagree, all these shops that are failing are having issues anyway and are failing to adapt, too big, too old. Most are in massive buildings that will be massively expensive to rent, run. they fail to adapt to change.

The pandemic is just the thing thats pushed them over the edge, they were slowly moving to the edge anyway.

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

I disagree, all these shops that are failing are having issues anyway and are failing to adapt, too big, too old. Most are in massive buildings that will be massively expensive to rent, run. they fail to adapt to change.

The pandemic is just the thing thats pushed them over the edge, they were slowly moving to the edge anyway.

Agree    :thumbsup:

And the Arcadia group that owns top shop and few others has gone in to administration with thousands of jobs on the line 

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

People will regret buying everything from the internet when all the shops have shut down and they are unable to view anything before they buy them.

Shops not only sell stuff but provide advice and also service when the goods fail.

They also pay their full whack of taxes and the Government and your Local councils are going to see their income drop drastically whilst Amazon etc.  sends all their money to American headquarters.

I once worked for Debenhams  (and Pauldens before them)  and they were great companies to work for in the old days with a lovely family atmosphere.

All progress seems to be backwards these days.

They're decent places to shop, but with the constant drive to make it more difficult to get into the centre of towns alot of people just shrug and admit they can't be bothered anymore.

The high street can't compete with online for prices, but if they can't beat them for convenience either then it's game over.

Yes terrible for all those who are looking at losing their jobs.  Also not great for us here in Sheffield with the prospect of two enormous, empty retail units, topping & tailing each end of The Moor. 

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Unless its somewhere like PC World.  They try and fob you off to contact the manufacturer direct.

Just now, alchresearch said:

Unless its somewhere like PC World.  They try and fob you off to contact the manufacturer direct.

As the shops close down and we all shop on the internet, every company will be like PC World.

Once they have your money, they won't give a damn whether the product works or whether you need help or advice.

All we need then, is for the internet to go down and all shopping ceases completely.

Think it can't happen - in these days of cyber warfare,  it's a certainty.

It's also another way to hasten the end of money and get everybody to use plastic.

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

Well Philip Green did well out of them and they did employ a lot of people, they even paid taxes, but perhaps they will need bailing out with their pensions.

Sir Philip Green is another one that needs his knighthood taking away.

6 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Well Philip Green did well out of them and they did employ a lot of people, they even paid taxes, but perhaps they will need bailing out with their pensions.

Sir Philip Green is another one that needs his knighthood taking away.

Somebody mentioned yesterday that hes purely a money man, not somebody skilled in the art of shopkeeping (for want of a better word)