Plastic Barriers Broomhill Glossop Rd

What do people think of the plastic barriers at top of Glossop Rd Broomhill?

Any idea what they are for?

I've heard that they are going to be painted green & decorated - like small Xmas trees - to cheer people up. I'll see if I can find the link that I read 

5 hours ago, markfor said:

What do people think of the plastic barriers at top of Glossop Rd Broomhill?

Any idea what they are for?

To give more room on the pavement to pedestrians . In answer to your first question, I think they're ridiculous.

19 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

To give more room on the pavement to pedestrians .

I assume you mean by preventing cars parking on the pavement which I thought was the job of the traffic wardens. How much extra room do they require?

2 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

I assume you mean by preventing cars parking on the pavement which I thought was the job of the traffic wardens. How much extra room do they require?

No, they essentially widen the pavements to allow more social distancing. "They" require enough room to pass each other leaving a 2m gap without walking in the road.

Preventing cars parking on the pavement is the job of a person's morally decency. The traffic warden is only there to punish when car drivers decide that their convenience is more important than pedestrian/pram/wheelchair users safety.

21 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

To give more room on the pavement to pedestrians . In answer to your first question, I think they're ridiculous.

Why? Do you think there is no requirement for more room?

Edited by Bargepole23

On 30/11/2020 at 12:38, Bargepole23 said:

Why? Do you think there is no requirement for more room?

Not enough to warrant taking 2 yards of a busy road away no.

12 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

Not enough to warrant taking 2 yards of a busy road away no.

Ok. Motorists before public health.

I've driven down Glossop Rd where the barriers are. If you are a motorist and have difficulty negotiating that stretch, my advice would be to post your license back to Swansea, because you're incompetent.

On 02/12/2020 at 12:02, Bargepole23 said:

Ok. Motorists before public health.

I've driven down Glossop Rd where the barriers are. If you are a motorist and have difficulty negotiating that stretch, my advice would be to post your license back to Swansea, because you're incompetent.

It's hardly the narrowest of pavements. You could turn that argument on its head and say any pedestrians who can't navigate the path without getting too close to each other should get an appointment at specsavers.

What you guys do not understand this is public money given to the council by the government I think and the priority is to spend it (bit like the foreign aid budget where as long as it is spent does not matter if it was wasted)

Bit like lets build a cycle lane when there are no cars around and convert it back when the cars are back and leave the cyclists to take their chances again

12 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

It's hardly the narrowest of pavements. You could turn that argument on its head and say any pedestrians who can't navigate the path without getting too close to each other should get an appointment at specsavers.

You could but your argument falls at the first hurdle. The pavement isn't wide enough to keep 2m apart. The road is wide enough with the barriers in place.

2 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

What you guys do not understand this is public money given to the council by the government I think and the priority is to spend it (bit like the foreign aid budget where as long as it is spent does not matter if it was wasted)

Bit like lets build a cycle lane when there are no cars around and convert it back when the cars are back and leave the cyclists to take their chances again

We understand that perfectly well.

14 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

You could but your argument falls at the first hurdle. The pavement isn't wide enough to keep 2m apart. The road is wide enough with the barriers in place.

Most pavements aren't wide enough to keep 2m apart.

52 minutes ago, Colin Foster said:

Most pavements aren't wide enough to keep 2m apart.

And in any case, if you are not standing there like a lemon, but just passing, as you normally do, there is close to zero risk.