Bbc Sports Commentator Suspended For Using Phrase Not Inline With Bbc Standards

I think it's the homophobic stuff that landed him in trouble.

He had previous in this

2 hours ago, altus said:

So you're assuming it was all about the use of 'handbags' despite admitting that's not everything he said.

The report does mention some other things:

Even then it doesn't say that's everything.

Maybe you all should find out exactly what he's been sanctioned for saying rather than leaping to conclusions because you've been triggered by a news report that has deliberately focused on one phrase to generate controversy.

Thank you for your input to the thread, when I posted it that was all the information I could find that was why I said and other things. The report was primarily over the term handbags, it was that term the BBC referred to when I read the article.

Being so quick to point things out to me why don't you look when I posted the thread, you will see that the article was updated over an hour after I had started it.

Edited by iansheff

55 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

And yet, Jo Brand's comment on a BBC show, were deemed acceptable? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48611424

I recall this.  It was in poor taste.  I also recall the show was called Heresy and it's aim was:

the presenter and a panel of guests commit "heresy" by challenging people's most deeply received opinions on a subject, in front of a studio audience.

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

And yet, Jo Brand's comment on a BBC show, were deemed acceptable? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48611424

You seem very selective about jokes on the BBC you get upset about. Less than a fortnight ago there was a joke on a much higher profile programme that you don't seem the slightest bit bothered about - BBC defends comic's 'bomb Glastonbury' joke about Corbyn fans.

Are you sure you're not just upset about the targets of the jokes you don't like rather than the jokes themselves?

3 hours ago, altus said:

You seem very selective about jokes on the BBC you get upset about. Less than a fortnight ago there was a joke on a much higher profile programme that you don't seem the slightest bit bothered about - BBC defends comic's 'bomb Glastonbury' joke about Corbyn fans.

Are you sure you're not just upset about the targets of the jokes you don't like rather than the jokes themselves?

No, never saw it but then again its not about me, is it?   (So don't assume, that I'm all seeing because you know what happens when you assume, don't you?  Better not spell it out in the current climate as it might offend the odd ass that has access to SF). 

But I'll chuck the accusation back at you.  Are you sure you're only upset & offended about the targets of the jokes you don't like rather than the jokes themselves?   You appear to be  because it's Mr Corbyn, otherwise why dig out the link, rather than condemn or support the BBC's actions which is what this thread is about? 

It's about the apparent hypocrisy of the BBC, which again, thanks to the link you've provided, just compounds the BBC's actions for taking action against a football pundit who committed the crime of saying "Handbags" & referring to some player as a "Drama queen." 

Now if the commentator had been referring to women footballers at the time, then that would have been sexist. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

No, never saw it but then again its not about me, is it?   (So don't assume, that I'm all seeing because you know what happens when you assume, don't you?  Better not spell it out in the current climate as it might offend the odd ass that has access to SF).

Did you listen to the Hearsay programme when it was broadcast? If not, how did you find out about it? Why didn't you find out about the joke on HIGNFY in the same way? Do you think that says something about the things you get triggered by (or perhaps about your news sources).

But I'll chuck the accusation back at you.  Are you sure you're only upset & offended about the targets of the jokes you don't like rather than the jokes themselves?   You appear to be  because it's Mr Corbyn, otherwise why dig out the link, rather than condemn or support the BBC's actions which is what this thread is about? 

That's a desperate attempt at deflection. There are plenty of my posts on the forum that demonstrate I'm no fan of Corbyn so trying to pin an 'upset leftie' badge on me isn't going to work.

It's about the apparent hypocrisy of the BBC, which again, thanks to the link you've provided, just compounds the BBC's actions for taking action against a football pundit who committed the crime of saying "Handbags" & referring to some player as a "Drama queen." 

Now if the commentator had been referring to women footballers at the time, then that would have been sexist. 

The jokes by known comedians Jo Brand and Fin Taylor where both on comedy programmes with reputations for irreverent humour.

Context is everything. You wouldn't call the BBC hypocritical for not showing a film with a sex scene during the day when they do post watershed on the same channel.

Notable that everybody seems to be focusing on the 'handbags' comment, arguably the least objectionable of the reported comments, and not mention the "he’d have been better wearing a skirt" one.

The fact is, we don't know that they are all the things he's been censured for and Thompson was given a written warning for similar language a couple of years ago. He's really go no one to blame but himself.

8 hours ago, altus said:

Did you listen to the Hearsay programme when it was broadcast? If not, how did you find out about it? Why didn't you find out about the joke on HIGNFY in the same way? Do you think that says something about the things you get triggered by (or perhaps about your news sources).

That's a desperate attempt at deflection. There are plenty of my posts on the forum that demonstrate I'm no fan of Corbyn so trying to pin an 'upset leftie' badge on me isn't going to work.

The jokes by known comedians Jo Brand and Fin Taylor where both on comedy programmes with reputations for irreverent humour.

Context is everything. You wouldn't call the BBC hypocritical for not showing a film with a sex scene during the day when they do post watershed on the same channel.

Notable that everybody seems to be focusing on the 'handbags' comment, arguably the least objectionable of the reported comments, and not mention the "he’d have been better wearing a skirt" one.

The fact is, we don't know that they are all the things he's been censured for and Thompson was given a written warning for similar language a couple of years ago. He's really go no one to blame but himself.

My bold. 

You seem to be incredibly upset by Steve Thompson's comments, more than anyone else on the thread, rather than just the hypocrisy of the BBC? 

Additionally, once again, you appear to be making a number of assumptions as to not only what I would or would not be aggrieved by but also others without any basis of fact.  Remember what we say about assuming? 

As for 'facts'.  We do know for a FACT what Thompson has been suspended for, as Iansheff, provided a link to start the whole debate off. 

Edited by Baron99

On 28/11/2020 at 16:11, butlers said:

I think it's the homophobic stuff that landed him in trouble.

He had previous in this

Their older viewers will be ok with that, many of the BBCs viewers are older, the young ones are online more.