Bbc Sports Commentator Suspended For Using Phrase Not Inline With Bbc Standards

Well I was going to put the phrase in the title but didn't want to offend anyone, I mean "handbags" what an offensive phrase, The Collins dictionary gives the definition: “an incident in which people, especially sportsmen, fight or threaten to fight, but without real intent to inflict harm”.

The article says:

The broadcasting giants said: “After listeners raised concerns, Steve acknowledged some of his comments on air didn’t meet the standards we expect.

Who on earth could be concerned about such a phrase, is this country really becoming that soft that people complain about such an innocuous word? It says phrases but only picks up on "handbags" so I don't know what other offensive things he said that could have upset people. 🙄

BBC football pundit suspended for referring to players' scuffle as 'handbags' - Mirror Online

Edited by iansheff

Absolutely crackers. If a commentator has to be that tippy toe about what they say. Then there might as well be no commentary.

But in a world of heightened political correctness -and no real  grass roots political action- there's thousands just waiting to be offended.

I don’t know. Political correctness gone mad. Next thing you know they’ll be throwing you in jail just for saying you’re English.

Angry of Orpington

Tommo should have referred to "manbags" then he might have been ok.

I've lost count of the number of times that "Handbags" has been used by the likes of Lineker, Shearer et al on Match of the Day over the years. 

It's to be hoped that the commentator's colleagues rally round & support him?  I reckon eventually he will be reinstated but as with all these incidents, it will now involve a through, if pointless investigation. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the police don't get involved at some stage, such is the ridiculous nature of things these days.  If the  complainant(s) aren't satisfied with the outcome? 

Edited by Baron99

I'm so very glad I don't pay the license to these morons. What a snowflakey joke the BBC seems to be becoming.

Wonder what the Beeb would do if all the commentators tried to use the phrase today, they couldn't suspend everyone. The Beeb are just making themselves look silly with all the things they are doing to look PC.

Edited by iansheff

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

Wonder what the Beeb would do if all the commentators tried to use the phrase today, they couldn't suspend everyone.

I'll watch MOTD and MOTD2 with great interest! 

Shearer in particular should be up for it - he's known for stunts.  In one of the England campaigns - I think it was one of the Euro's, they were all in a camp and giving daily interviews to the press.  The players decided to try and put horse-racing terms into every interview and see who could get most in.  I think it was Shearer who even beat horse-lover Michael Owen at it.

Come on Lineker, Shearer etc - do your duty!

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I'll watch MOTD and MOTD2 with great interest! 

Shearer in particular should be up for it - he's known for stunts.  In one of the England campaigns - I think it was one of the Euro's, they were all in a camp and giving daily interviews to the press.  The players decided to try and put horse-racing terms into every interview and see who could get most in.  I think it was Shearer who even beat horse-lover Michael Owen at it.

Come on Lineker, Shearer etc - do your duty!

No chance Lineker will upset his apple cart, typical bbc type, can imagine him in class"Miss, Freds pulling faces at you!"  

4 hours ago, iansheff said:

Who on earth could be concerned about such a phrase, is this country really becoming that soft that people complain about such an innocuous word? It says phrases but only picks up on "handbags" so I don't know what other offensive things he said that could have upset people. 🙄

BBC football pundit suspended for referring to players' scuffle as 'handbags' - Mirror Online

So you're assuming it was all about the use of 'handbags' despite admitting that's not everything he said.

The report does mention some other things:

Other comments included him saying "I think the referee’s wife’s in…" and “[he's] being a bit of a drama queen….. he’d have been better wearing a skirt.”

Even then it doesn't say that's everything.

Maybe you all should find out exactly what he's been sanctioned for saying rather than leaping to conclusions because you've been triggered by a news report that has deliberately focused on one phrase to generate controversy.