Consultation For Major Road Changes In The City Centre

On 28/11/2020 at 14:27, darylslinn said:

Am I right in my assumption 'Nightrider' that for cyclists coming into the City which I believe is the main aim... a cross City route is of no real benefit to a cyclist ?

Nope, a cross city route is important for commuting cyclists. I've commuted by bike across Sheffield for years. The stretch of Arundel Gate from nr Plug to Castle Sq is dodgy by bike, lots of cars cutting across lanes.

the city centre routes are an integral requirement for a larger network.

it's a bit like building the roundabout before building the connecting main roads - we've got to start somewhere - there's not much point building one without the other.

*some* connecting main routes are also being planned, and importantly, funded.

this is all good news. 

i think the city centre proposals make sense : they look good, and maintain access for cars and buses. it's just moved around a little bit. 

Edited by ads36

So in removing Pinstone St there's no consideration for the elderly & disabled who used buses travelling that road to get to the businesses that are nearby.

Yet more pandering by SCC to their university puppet master....

Yes, great. But it’s taking buses further away from the shops. I don’t understand why buses are being taken away from Leopold Street and Pinstone street. They only went one way anyway but it allowed easier access to Fargate and the Moor and felt safer because of the number of people around.

52 minutes ago, ads36 said:

the city centre routes are an integral requirement for a larger network.

it's a bit like building the roundabout before building the connecting main roads - we've got to start somewhere - there's not much point building one without the other.

*some* connecting main routes are also being planned, and importantly, funded.

this is all good news. 

i think the city centre proposals make sense : they look good, and maintain access for cars and buses. it's just moved around a little bit. 

Please see my previous post above in response to this one. Still learning how to use this I’m afraid.

For the most part, the buses going in the opposite directions didn't use Leopold and Pinstone streets even before these changes. If the new positions of the bus stops are such an issue why haven't there been huge numbers of complaints about the positions of the old, opposite direction, ones?

51 minutes ago, Resident said:

So in removing Pinstone St there's no consideration for the elderly & disabled who used buses travelling that road to get to the businesses that are nearby.

there'll be bus stops at the end of Pinstone St,  (on Furnival Gate)

there'll be bus stops on Arundel Gate

there'll be bus stops on Rockingham St.

There'll be bus stops on West Street.

There'll be bus stops at the bottom of Fargate.

etc.

(and plenty of others that i've forgotten about)

and all of these points are within easy walking distance of each other.

1 hour ago, altus said:

For the most part, the buses going in the opposite directions didn't use Leopold and Pinstone streets even before these changes. If the new positions of the bus stops are such an issue why haven't there been huge numbers of complaints about the positions of the old, opposite direction, ones?

Maybe because those that wish to complain about it cannot directly speak with SCC as they employ technology specifically designed to confuse and make it extremely difficult.

Many of the Pinstone St users are elderly and/or infirm and would alight there and walk down the hill via all the various businesses they wished to visit then get on the opposite direction service at the bottom, particularly the Moor and Charles St stops.  It was a system that worked for them therefore no need for complaints.

18 minutes ago, ads36 said:

etc.

So what about the top of Fargate, for the elderly and infirm, where there are current bus stops that were frequently used by many? Those stops you mention are fine for younger & more able-bodied persons. 

1 hour ago, Resident said:

Many of the Pinstone St users are elderly and/or infirm and would alight there and walk down the hill via all the various businesses they wished to visit then get on the opposite direction service at the bottom, particularly the Moor and Charles St stops.  It was a system that worked for them therefore no need for complaints.

What about those coming into town from the opposite end of the bus routes where the buses into down stop lower down? Are they magically less elderly and/or infirm?

22 minutes ago, Resident said:

So what about the top of Fargate,

that's a fair question : what is the upper distance we can reasonably expect people to walk/move to a bus stop?

this scheme puts that at around 300m - *if* you're at the top of Fargate.

i don't think that's unreasonable - it's more or less the same as now - bearing in mind, under the current (old) system, you'd often have to walk further than that to get to the right bus-stop. 

the only comment i would make ,is these things are often decided and whatever the people want doesnt count unless its the same as the councils idea.

3 hours ago, ads36 said:

etc.

Pity that the shoppers who would have used them won't- what with them abandoning shopping in the city centre once and for all. And when they've gone, the bus stops will be too; then the shops.

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

the only comment i would make ,is these things are often decided and whatever the people want doesnt count unless its the same as the councils idea.

You've got in before me with your comments. 

This is less a consultation exercise, although I would encourage people to access the link posted by the original poster & have your say.  At the end, the only obligation you have is to provide an email address for confirmation purposes. 

The Pinstone St closure was only meant to be temporary, (there is another thread on SF), brought in on the pretense of providing a space for social distancing in the early days of COVID-19, yet even though we're all supposedly discussing the proposals for more permanent road closures, buses being rerouted, bus stops moved from the city centre, metres away from retailers, months ago, Pinstone St had its bus stops & old road markings removed, & replaced with new pedestrian / cycle route markings, along with planters added at the side of the road.  

As Bassett One eludes to, everything has already been decided. 

Edited by Baron99