Consultation For Major Road Changes In The City Centre

A6178 Sheffield Road On-road, fully segregated cycle lane; around 2.2km as segregated from Blackburn Meadows Way to Ickles then around 1km segregated from Ickles to the Rotherham town centre £5.57m

Is that replacing the on road segregated cycle lane that was already there but got removed about 3 months ago? There already is a cycle lane from Ickles roundabout into Rotherham town centre on road and also along the canal path if preferred

3 hours ago, sheffbag said:

A6178 Sheffield Road On-road, fully segregated cycle lane; around 2.2km as segregated from Blackburn Meadows Way to Ickles then around 1km segregated from Ickles to the Rotherham town centre £5.57m

Is that replacing the on road segregated cycle lane that was already there but got removed about 3 months ago? There already is a cycle lane from Ickles roundabout into Rotherham town centre on road and also along the canal path if preferred

Don't know if you have ever cycled from Blackburn Meadows Way to Rotherham town centre, along that "cycle" lane? As far as I know, having ridden it daily in 2019, it isn't segregated, only by markings on the road for a small section of it, in which cars park. The surface is terrible and full of rubbish.

Coming the other way from Rotherham back to Meadowhall, there is generally a line of trucks waiting to pull into some factory, forcing cyclists and drivers out.

The canal path is very pleasant in summer. Not so great in the dark, certainly I didn't feel particularly safe riding along there in the dark, can't imagine many lone females would be in a rush to use it.

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Don't know if you have ever cycled from Blackburn Meadows Way to Rotherham town centre, along that "cycle" lane? As far as I know, having ridden it daily in 2019, it isn't segregated, only by markings on the road for a small section of it, in which cars park. The surface is terrible and full of rubbish.

Coming the other way from Rotherham back to Meadowhall, there is generally a line of trucks waiting to pull into some factory, forcing cyclists and drivers out.

The canal path is very pleasant in summer. Not so great in the dark, certainly I didn't feel particularly safe riding along there in the dark, can't imagine many lone females would be in a rush to use it.

I don't cycle either of those routes and to be honest having driven the Sheffield Road route many, many times I don't think I would want to cycle that route... agree with all of the above Bargepole23. The good thing is though the road is wide enough I believe to take a segregated cycle lane as long as they do something about the trucks outside Newell's.
As for the canal path in the dark, i'd be in the canal !

11 hours ago, darylslinn said:

I don't cycle either of those routes and to be honest having driven the Sheffield Road route many, many times I don't think I would want to cycle that route... agree with all of the above Bargepole23. The good thing is though the road is wide enough I believe to take a segregated cycle lane as long as they do something about the trucks outside Newell's.
As for the canal path in the dark, i'd be in the canal !

Agreed, definitely wide enough.

Regardless of any provision of a cycle lane, no business should be allowed to use the road as a holding area for trucks. Either the business should hold them on its own premises or should do its job properly and schedule them.

16 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

i go down it quite regularly on a bike. how are they going to segregate it along there? As far as the surface goes that wont change unless they do the whole road and even then they will no doubt mess it up (such as the speed bumps which have now gone)

Dont get me wrong, any improvement is good but i cant see it working with the trucks along the road

On 06/01/2021 at 17:12, Bargepole23 said:

Outbound from Rotherham is a nightmare at times because of the trucks, all parked up, on double yellows, in a line from River View all the way back to Bradmarsh Way at times, which then forces other traffic into the oncoming lane for ~350m (~1100ft). Oncoming traffic have no option but to take to the bus lane. 

The trucks themselves are serving Newell Wright Transport or Templebrough Power Station. 

The local clowncil and plod have been advised of this dangerous situation but so far nothing has been done, as usual they'll wait until someone is seriously injured or killed.

Edited by Resident

Its good to note that it's not only SCC who are good at wasting money.  Just heard on the radio that Salisbury Council spent over £400,000 on traffic calming measures in their city centre, only for the whole lot to be taken out, 2 weeks later. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Its good to note that it's not only SCC who are good at wasting money.  Just heard on the radio that Salisbury Council spent over £400,000 on traffic calming measures in their city centre, only for the whole lot to be taken out, 2 weeks later. 

indeed

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Where are you reading the £400000 figure?

3 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Where are you reading the £400000 figure?

Reported on LBC radio this morning.  In certain areas of London, people are complaining of similar changes, so the Salisbury figure cropped up as part of that. 

Edited by Baron99

9 hours ago, Baron99 said:

8 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

indeed

In defence of these councils, a lot of these schemes have been removed only because of a small group of objectors - usually the kind of people who wish they could legally marry their BMWs and get upset because 1x parking space has been removed, or their journey has a few extra seconds added to it - kick up such a loud fuss that the councils cave in and put things back as they were, despite them being generally successful and well-received schemes.

See : Kensington High Street cycle lane.