Consultation For Major Road Changes In The City Centre

14 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

There are comprehensive displays all around the bus station that display services, destinations and departure stands. The only confusion is the displaying of tram departures when none run there. Other than having personal meet and greet staff to accompany passengers to their stand and possibly wipe their butts in the toilets I fail to see an issue regarding information available.

I said it was relatively easy at the bus station the problem is the rest of the bus stops in town especially when you are not familiar with the services

2 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

Something I would agree with you on I find it hard to believe that no one seemed to grasp the concept of integrated transport in Sheffield and big plus would be that the bus station has a major advantage for infrequent bus users in that it is relatively easy to find the right stop and bus

If you find it hard to believe, then why don't you come to the logical conclusion? Which is that they do grasp the concept, but politics, finances, land ownership issues have all scuppered any idealistic plans. Most council planning departments would probably love to do all the 'obvious' things that people like you suggest on here, but are constantly having to make do with what little influence and power they have.

3 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

I said it was relatively easy at the bus station the problem is the rest of the bus stops in town especially when you are not familiar with the services

Well there is an information kiosk right on Arundel Gate alongside a large number of bus stops. There are also digital information displays  with all the timetable information and destinations showing at each bus stop. There is also big posters showing all of the key routes from such stops and a wider network on each stop......Its certainly not the worst provision I've seen.

From travelling around quite a lot in my work we really do have much more "integration" compared to many other cities.  There are some cities that barely have information provision at all or at best it's a scrappy paper timetable nailed to a concrete post.  

Some other places I've been, whilst they do have a centralised and well-equipped bus station/depot they have very little else around the rest of the city leading to people having to walk some way from one end to the other to get back to what bus they need.  At least a large number of our routes do take some form of loop around the city centre which means that you can have a choice of places to join/leave the route depending on which part of town you wish to get to.

Anyway, back on topic my concern with this ridiculous scheme is that the seem to be removing that facility of having multiple bus routes loop around the key areas of the centre in favour of shoving them out of the way onto some kind of fringe route.

I could almost forgive if the intention was to create a centralised core of the city centre which is fully pedestrianised and easy to get around but from what I have interpreted the plans to be it seems to be far more in favour of giving a nice  convenient cut-through to appease the cycle natzis and sticking a big two fingers up at any pedestrians or public transport users. As for those who have the audacity to drive a personal or business vehicle anywhere near the city centre well you can just about go do one as far as the council is concerned.

15 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The government money ( Transforming Cities Fund) they are using for this has been specifically awarded for these projects. It must also be spent within a 3 year timeframe. They can’t spend it on a tram extension, which in any case would take circa 10 years to plan and several years to build. 

It is a money grab then. Just as I suspected and just like the failed embarrassing Shalesmoor scheme.

Edited by ECCOnoob

What is lacking at Sheffield Interchange is footfall, as it's too inaccessible to the main shops and since the majority of the shops have moved from Castlgate to The Moor, this is even further away for bus users. If more accessible and safer walking routes were provided, this might encourage customers to use the main interchange. This should be much better served and catered for, but if there's no passengers wanting to go there, the bus operators wont want to serve it, especially when they have to pay 50p per departure, where as Arundel Gate etc. is free.

The changes and opening up of Esperanto Place and further development near the old post office on Flat Street could help regenerate the area and make it more accessible, in turn bringing more people to the area.

It would be a real shame to sell of the site for some more "student" developments, especially when it has so much potential...

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

As for those who have the audacity to drive a personal or business vehicle anywhere near the city centre well you can just about go do one as far as ...

... the nearest car park, of which there are loads, right next to the city centre.  it's really quite easy.

and they're cheap.

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

... the nearest car park, of which there are loads, right next to the city centre.  it's really quite easy.

and they're cheap.

I didn't mention about parking I'm talking about getting into the city.  

The longer the council carry on with their chopping and changing of road networks, the more they push and push the traffic flow  onto already busy and inadequate ring roads, the more those who have no option to drive are going to look to avoid going anywhere near the city and shop, eat, entertain and do business elsewhere.

Like I said, they could not give two hoots about car drivers.  They have always had their selective blindness about people who cannot for several reasons feasibly use public transport or cycle. Time and time again do they show their bias towards the minority cycling agenda with their so called "improvement schemes".

Edited by ECCOnoob

6 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

It is a money grab then. Just as I suspected and just like the failed embarrassing Shalesmoor scheme.

The councillor who promoted and approved the Shalesmoor scheme doesn’t seem to have done too badly out of it. Perhaps being seen as a progressive who is prepared to try new things and make difficult and unpopular decisions is a good career move.....

I wouldn’t describe it as a money grab, SCC, like pretty much every other council has policies to promote walking, cycling and public transport over private car use. That is entirely in line with central government policy and the government are throwing plenty of money at it as it addresses a lot of pressing issues like climate change, decarbonisation, air quality and public health.

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I didn't mention about parking I'm talking about getting into the city.  

Why do you actually need to get into the city centre other than to park, pick up / drop off or deliver / collect? You can do all of these very easily.

The ring road and access loops system they are using here is used in many towns and cities. The road network here runs just fine outside peak times, but it’s busy at peak times, just like it is is everywhere else.

Isn't the land the interchange I'd built on owned by the university? That's what a driver was saying so it couldn't be sold if that's the case. If the buses are staying as they are I hope they plan on making the stops on the Odeon side better so no buses are having to stop in the lane to load/unload

Just wanted to post something on here to try and get the item back towards the top of the Sheffield Discussion topics.

The consultation closes on 07 January 2021 so please do have a look and make your comments known. The link to the consultation was kindly given by Michael N in the first post on this topic.

@Poll- I did make my views known, very early on, but it really is a waste of time - SCC will just do what they want anyway, and make aright pigs-ear of it.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

@Poll- I did make my views known, very early on, but it really is a waste of time - SCC will just do what they want anyway, and make aright pigs-ear of it.

Totally agree. They are just going through the motions. 

On 27/11/2020 at 11:45, Michael_N said:

Following on from the closure of Pinstone Street due to Covid-19, Sheffield City Council are now running a consultation on a draft of changes, mainly affecting Pinstone Street/Charter Row & Arundel Gate. This would involve the permanent closure of Pinstone Street to all traffic, with bus routes and stops re-located across the local area. This will run until 7 January 2021.

The main details of the changes are:

1: Pinstone Street would be closed permanently. Bus routes that previously served this road would remain pretty much as they are now.

2: Rockingham Street would become bus-only in a southbound direction with new bus stops located here (replacing the Carver Street stops).

3: New segregated cycle lanes are introduced along Arundel Gate and Charter Row.

3: Arundel Gate roundabout would be removed, becoming a 3-way junction

4: New bus stops would be added on Furnival Gate and Arundel Gate.

5: Arundel Gate would become bus-only eastbound (travelling towards Park Square).

The full details, including maps and consultation can be viewed here: https://connectingsheffield.commonplace.is/schemes/proposals/city-centre-proposals/details

Remember to have your say on the website above. Closing date is Thursday, 7 January 2021.

Also of interest, some of the works that form part of the Transforming Cities fund that are being undertaken in Rotherham will include:

- Parkgate Three schemes: a new access into the Parkgate Shopping Centre from Aldwarke Lane (£5.13m); widening the southern entry and exit to the five arm Taylors Lane roundabout to improve capacity (£3.0925m); A 300 space Park and Ride facility for the Tram Train stop at Parkgate (£3.33m) £11.55m

- Magna Tram Train Stop A new stop on the Tram-Train line at Magna with associated [150 space] park and ride facility £5.4m

- Waverley / Advanced Manufacturing Park (AMP) to the town centre A fully segregated cycle route along the A631 Bawtry Road between Brinsworth and Tinsley / Meadowhall (includes Wood Lane) £1.5m

- Advanced Manufacturing Innovation District to Sheffield Three schemes: Development of core active travel route connecting city centre to AMP corridor, including spur to Olympic Legacy Park (£10.25m); Development of core active travel route linking Meadowhall with Rotherham Council's proposals on Sheffield Road (£2.8m); Bus priority measures through Attercliffe, Darnall and around Meadowhall (£3.7m) £16.75m

- A6178 Sheffield Road On-road, fully segregated cycle lane; around 2.2km as segregated from Blackburn Meadows Way to Ickles then around 1km segregated from Ickles to the Rotherham town centre £5.57m

- A631 Rotherham to Maltby Bus Corridor Around 1.2km bus lane along A631 Rotherham Road, Maltby towards M18 J1 with bus priority pre-signals £2.25m

- Manvers Way Provision of safe, direct attractive walking and cycling route, including crossings between Manvers Way and Wath town centre £0.4m

- Doncaster Road, Dalton Extending the two traffic lanes exiting the roundabout on the A630 Doncaster Road towards Dalton by around 250m £1.2m

- Rotherham town centre Two projects: Contribution to the replacement of the existing footbridge between the Forge Island development and Corporation Street (£1m); Cycle infrastructure improvements along Fredrick Street to provide a bi-directional cross town-centre link (£0.4m) £1.4m

Probably the biggest news is the fact how Tram Train looks to become permanent, running between Parkgate and Cathedral. It will have 2 new stops, a new terminus with a Park & Ride site close to the A6123 Aldwarke Lane with either a 250 or 300 space Park & Ride, and a new stop located to the western end of Magna, which will also have a 150 space Park & Ride site.

Edited by Michael_N