Consultation For Major Road Changes In The City Centre

On 02/12/2020 at 11:38, Resident said:

If you look at the proposal for the Sheaf St removal ,  that seems to be the plan. 

I must be looking at the wrong page then.  All I'm seeing is bus corridors, bus priority routes, bus lanes, and er, high quality bus stops and high quality bus hubs.

2 hours ago, The Joker said:

I must be looking at the wrong page then.  All I'm seeing is bus corridors, bus priority routes, bus lanes, and er, high quality bus stops and high quality bus hubs.

I only saw the original proposal earlier in the year, there wasn't any bus station/interchange. 

14 hours ago, The Joker said:

High Quality bus stops???? Now that is an interesting idea I wonder what the spec for these would be

ideas on a postcard please

Edited by Bigal1

I personally don't go into the city anymore it's too much hassle. What I am surprised at is that this discussion has got to page 4  and you haven't all been put in your place by a supercilious lecture from Planner 1.

6 minutes ago, cytine said:

I personally don't go into the city anymore it's too much hassle. What I am surprised at is that this discussion has got to page 4  and you haven't all been put in your place by a supercilious lecture from Planner 1

Lol.  

Must be off somewhere planning? 

Edited by Baron99

13 minutes ago, cytine said:

I personally don't go into the city anymore it's too much hassle. What I am surprised at is that this discussion has got to page 4  and you haven't all been put in your place by a supercilious lecture from Planner 1.

may be on holiday

On 02/12/2020 at 11:55, kevvy said:

This is a ridiculous proposal !  As has already been said, no consideration for the Elderly or those with Mobility issues.   I came into town from the Hallamshire  Hospital after an appointment yesterday to go to the Moor market, the nearest Bus Stops are now on Rockingham St. near Division St.  or on Arundel Gate near the top of Howard St.  The Council wonder why  (even before Covid) the Footfall in Town is diminishing ??    

I agree this is a ridiculous proposal, and very disadvantageous for many. 

And if people are of the opinion that it will never affect them, they need to think again. With regret I have to remind people that they could be cursed with mobility issues at any time - it only takes one accident. And old age is visited upon us all sooner or later, when driving may become difficult or impossible, along with walking problems.

I also think that with the advent of very expensive electric cars, more people will be forced off the road and may be having to use public transport in the future, and may wish to have a central hub where they know they can get from one side of the city to the other without having to investigate where and how they can locate connecting buses.

By all means relocate the central bus station to somewhere nearer the new shopping areas, (what a waste of a good facility,) but please keep it all together in one place.

Edited by Anna B

On 04/12/2020 at 15:43, Anna B said:

And if people are of the opinion that it will never affect them, they need to think again. With regret I have to remind people that they could be cursed with mobility issues at any time - it only takes one accident. And old age is visited upon us all sooner or later, when driving may become difficult or impossible, along with walking problems.

I also think that with the advent of very expensive electric cars, more people will be forced off the road and may be having to use public transport in the future, and may wish to have a central hub where they know they can get from one side of the city to the other without having to investigate where and how they can locate connecting buses.

By all means relocate the central bus station to somewhere nearer the new shopping areas, (what a waste of a good facility,) but please keep it all together in one place.

Knock down the Crucible, Lyceum and Central Library and place a bus station there..... only joking..... but then again knowing this council.

On 04/12/2020 at 15:43, Anna B said:

Good Morning, Great post !   Have you been to the Council Website and put your views across on the Questionnaire ? Please do ..   But as has already been said it's probably got the go ahead !

14 hours ago, darylslinn said:

Knock down the Crucible, Lyceum and Central Library and place a bus station there..... only joking..... but then again knowing this council.

please do not give them ideas

Guest busdriver1
15 hours ago, darylslinn said:

Since Arundel Gate id to be little more than  bus station why not go the full distance and actually do just that. Remove the central reservation,  and build stands down each side between the Lyceum and the tram stop with bus access from each end. Hey presto, a bus station ( or as we seem to inaccurately  call them an interchange). There is even an information shop there that could actually serve a purpose for the first time since it was built.

This would serve many purposes including the desire to close off as many roads in the City and force motorists on to the ring road creating pollution hot spots. The current bus station ("interchange") could then be sold off and a small profit realised. Better again would be to allow buses to travel both ways on the High Street to make better use of the new bus station without clogging up minor back roads.

Ahh if only we had a council with vision and no pre-set agendas.

Edited by busdriver1

10 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Since Arundel Gate id to be little more than  bus station why not go the full distance and actually do just that. Remove the central reservation,  and build stands down each side between the Lyceum and the tram stop with bus access from each end. Hey presto, a bus station ( or as we seem to inaccurately  call them an interchange). There is even an information shop there that could actually serve a purpose for the first time since it was built.

This would serve many purposes including the desire to close off as many roads in the City and force motorists on to the ring road creating pollution hot spots. The current bus station ("interchange") could then be sold off and a small profit realised. Better again would be to allow buses to travel both ways on the High Street to make better use of the new bus station without clogging up minor back roads.

Ahh if only we had a council with vision and no pre-set agendas.

What about moving the trams so they run along Sheaf street and past the redundant bus station to connect with the non existent buses