Consultation For Major Road Changes In The City Centre

Following on from the closure of Pinstone Street due to Covid-19, Sheffield City Council are now running a consultation on a draft of changes, mainly affecting Pinstone Street/Charter Row & Arundel Gate. This would involve the permanent closure of Pinstone Street to all traffic, with bus routes and stops re-located across the local area. This will run until 7 January 2021.

The main details of the changes are:

1: Pinstone Street would be closed permanently. Bus routes that previously served this road would remain pretty much as they are now.

2: Rockingham Street would become bus-only in a southbound direction with new bus stops located here (replacing the Carver Street stops).

3: New segregated cycle lanes are introduced along Arundel Gate and Charter Row.

3: Arundel Gate roundabout would be removed, becoming a 3-way junction

4: New bus stops would be added on Furnival Gate and Arundel Gate.

5: Arundel Gate would become bus-only eastbound (travelling towards Park Square).

The full details, including maps and consultation can be viewed here: https://connectingsheffield.commonplace.is/schemes/proposals/city-centre-proposals/details

Am I right in thinking that the closure of traffic going from Furnival Gate to Rockingham Street will just put more pressure on the ring road? I often use that route (round the back of Debenhams) explicitly to avoid going on the ring road and saving time.

This looks like a right dogs dinner.

Edited by geared

3 hours ago, geared said:

Wouldn't feed it to my dog.

8 hours ago, geared said:

It's don't think it's that complicated, or indeed that different from what currently happens. It basically moves the bus routes slightly and stops through-traffic using Arundel Gate.

Basically, instead of buses using Pinstone Street southbound, they'll use Rockingham Street. A 2-way bus gate on Furnival Gate will allow for a complete loop around Rockingham Street, Furnival Gate, Arundel Gate, High Street/West Street so buses can circulate around the city centre and for the most part take similar routes through town as they do currently.

Bus Gate on Arundel Gate will basically stop private cars using it as a cut-through town, whilst still allowing private cars access to the car parks at either end of Arundel Gate. 

Private cars will still have the same access to John Lewis car park.

Im all for a cleaner and greener city centre, but how long will it be before the new greenery is overgrown, full of weeds and used as a litter bin because the council cant afford to keep it clean and tidy???

Then what will it look like ??? And the taxpayers cost for this ‘transformation’ ??? 🤔

21 hours ago, the_bloke said:

Am I right in thinking that the closure of traffic going from Furnival Gate to Rockingham Street will just put more pressure on the ring road? I often use that route (round the back of Debenhams) explicitly to avoid going on the ring road and saving time.

It is not designed to improve life for the car driver indeed exactly the opposite

I would be interested to know how many cyclists there are currently in this area every day and how many extra cyclists the council expect to justify the cost of the cycle lanes - of course this will be top secret to avoid accountability

1 hour ago, Bigal1 said:

It is not designed to improve life for the car driver indeed exactly the opposite

I would be interested to know how many cyclists there are currently in this area every day and how many extra cyclists the council expect to justify the cost of the cycle lanes - of course this will be top secret to avoid accountability

I don't think cyclists would increase that much. e.g. I live out in Walkley - I am unlikely to cycle around the shops in the city centre unless there is a safe car free route from Walkley to the city centre I can ride. It might be more useful to put these kind of routes in and put cycle storage on the edge of the city centre where they arrive.

I no longer go to the city centre, it's just far easier to get things delivered than have the hassle of driving there in traffic + trying to find somewhere to park (often car parks were full and I noticed in lockdown a number have even been removed entirely). In fact I found a far better variety of shops online (no not amazon - lots of independent shops all over the country now offer delivery).

Am I right in my assumption 'Nightrider' that for cyclists coming into the City which I believe is the main aim... a cross City route is of no real benefit to a cyclist ?

6 minutes ago, darylslinn said:

Am I right in my assumption 'Nightrider' that for cyclists coming into the City which I believe is the main aim... a cross City route is of no real benefit to a cyclist ?

That would only be true if cyclists got off their bikes the moment they reach the nearest edge of the city centre and traveled no further. If they are going to the other side of the city centre, or further, obviously a cross city route would be beneficial. Even if you only make provision for them to get to the centre of the city centre once you've done that for different directions you automatically have cross city routes.

On 27/11/2020 at 11:45, Michael_N said:

Following on from the closure of Pinstone Street due to Covid-19, Sheffield City Council are now running a consultation on a draft of changes, mainly affecting Pinstone Street/Charter Row & Arundel Gate. This would involve the permanent closure of Pinstone Street to all traffic, with bus routes and stops re-located across the local area. This will run until 7 January 2021.

The main details of the changes are:

1: Pinstone Street would be closed permanently. Bus routes that previously served this road would remain pretty much as they are now.

2: Rockingham Street would become bus-only in a southbound direction with new bus stops located here (replacing the Carver Street stops).

3: New segregated cycle lanes are introduced along Arundel Gate and Charter Row.

3: Arundel Gate roundabout would be removed, becoming a 3-way junction

4: New bus stops would be added on Furnival Gate and Arundel Gate.

5: Arundel Gate would become bus-only eastbound (travelling towards Park Square).

The full details, including maps and consultation can be viewed here: https://connectingsheffield.commonplace.is/schemes/proposals/city-centre-proposals/details

Thank you for giving the link to the consultation. I have read all the comments made so far and completed the questionnaire. I see that there are a lot of cyclists who have responded positively to the plans. My question is, do the cyclists intend to shop in the City Centre, or is it just a great scheme to allow them safe passage through the Centre and out to the other side?   

of course cyclists will respond positively but the real question is how many will use their bicycles in the city center as you say. I wonder if the council are going to calculate the extra pollution caused as motorists try and navigate their way round and get stuck in stop start traffic