Great idea for a section. I hope this is the sort of thing you want.

Food Works are a brilliant organisation, based on the Wybourn but also with places in Sharrow and Upperthorpe.

They take food that supermarkets are about to throw away and make it available to the public. It’s not a food bank, you don’t need a referral .

You can call at the base in the Wybourn and collect a box of food for a small donation. Or, you can become a patron for £10 a week. Or you can buy meals prepared from the ingredients. 

Have a look at their website, they are great.

https://thefoodworks.org

44 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Food Works are a brilliant organisation, based on the Wybourn but also with places in Sharrow and Upperthorpe.

They take food that supermarkets are about to throw away and make it available to the public. It’s not a food bank, you don’t need a referral .

You can call at the base in the Wybourn and collect a box of food for a small donation. Or, you can become a patron for £10 a week. Or you can buy meals prepared from the ingredients. 

This is brilliant, thank you for sharing

I've had a box from Food Works weekly for the last couple of years and am now a patron, and love the randomness and amazing variety that is available and would otherwise be wasted.  This week I got a persimmon and 2 fennel bulbs so I had to go away and work out what to do with them :)  In recent months we've had everything from blueberries and asparagus to a whole guinea fowl and beautiful flowers.

The big development that has come around as a result of Covid is the affordable and freshly made ready meals that can be picked up from a whole selection of places around the city for a very reasonable donation (and also made by the FW chefs from repurposed food from the waste stream).  It's amazing to think how many people can be fed from the food that businesses throw away.

13 hours ago, Pettytom said:

It's a great idea and I really hope they become more popular.

Anything that helps reduce waste and puts food in people's mouths is a winner for me. 

Have a great day everyone  :)