Diego Maradona Has Died At The Age Of 60

top ,top player of class and great skills,sadly missed by many through out the world RIP

A genius with the ball at his feet and running at defenders, great to watch, but alas ,  he was for me  a cheat, not just for the hand of god goal, but he abused his body with a cocaine addiction & alcohol abuse on his body, which cheated the football world of seeing him at his best over a longer period of time , such a shame R.I.P

12 minutes ago, pintor said:

A genius with the ball at his feet and running at defenders, great to watch, but alas ,  he was for me  a cheat, not just for the hand of god goal, but he abused his body with a cocaine addiction & alcohol abuse on his body, which cheated the football world of seeing him at his best over a longer period of time , such a shame R.I.P

Good point, look at Pele, Ronaldo, Messi and even Ibrahimovic...Zlatan scored twice in Serie A at the the weekend and he is 39!!

Greatest ever! R.I.P.

Edited by prince al

Genius spotted at an early age and got to the top. 

I seem to remember him not being selected for the 1978 World Cup in Argentina, but used as a "warm up" act showing his ball skills in the middle of the pitch before matches.  One of football's first freestylers!  Can't locate any clip of it on the web though.

He was undoubtedly one of the best ever.  Sadly, was also a cheat.  The Hand of God incident, then trying to reach the heights again with the aid of drugs.  He should have been in the company of other "greats" who have helped shape the future of the game.  The likes of Platini and Beckenbaur are revered and still involved in the higher reaches of the game.  Instead, the drugs had ravaged his body so he died too early.

He's left us with some great memories though, and has inspired many.  R.I.P.

I'm sorry, but my over-riding memory of Maradona is that the man is a blatant cheat.  There is no doubt that he was a talented, gifted player, but to compare him with Pele (as some of the press have done), is pointless. One of them had a career without any controversy, the other cheated and then basked in the glory of cheating. I know which one I would like my grandkids to have as a role model.

Edited by pitsmoorlad
added comment

No doubt a talented footballer! It never ceases to amaze me how all the dead led sainted lives😄 according to press and family. Anyway on a good day R. I P. 

The same can be said about George Best or Paul  Gascoigne,  both who let an addiction ruin what could have been a longer more fruitful career.

There are others, some well known and some not so. 

Maradona would not be the icon he became if not for his controversies.

His 'hand of God' goal stood because the referee and other officials allowed it. From their view it looked a genuine goal.

Then he scored what for many, was a goal of the highest level.

That was Maradona .

13 hours ago, pintor said:

A genius with the ball at his feet and running at defenders, great to watch, but alas ,  he was for me  a cheat, not just for the hand of god goal, but he abused his body with a cocaine addiction & alcohol abuse on his body, which cheated the football world of seeing him at his best over a longer period of time , such a shame 

On 26/11/2020 at 07:21, pitsmoorlad said:

I'm sorry, but my over-riding memory of Maradona is that the man is a blatant cheat.  There is no doubt that he was a talented, gifted player, but to compare him with Pele (as some of the press have done), is pointless. One of them had a career without any controversy, the other cheated and then basked in the glory of cheating. I know which one I would like my grandkids to have as a role model.

Totally agree, how any respectable football fan can say Maradona was a great footballer beggars belief..

First of all he was a cheat and the fact he says he never cheated shows that he was NEVER a true sportsman....

Has for his skills as a footballer, he was made to look good by the fact other players didn't really challenge him..

Unfortunately football has been ruined by cheats and players un-sportsman like behaviour.....

I stopped wasting my money on going to watch football 25 years ago..

5 hours ago, alandrea0 said:

Totally agree, how any respectable football fan can say Maradona was a great footballer beggars belief..

First of all he was a cheat and the fact he says he never cheated shows that he was NEVER a true sportsman....

Has for his skills as a footballer, he was made to look good by the fact other players didn't really challenge him..

Unfortunately football has been ruined by cheats and players un-sportsman like behaviour.....

I stopped wasting my money on going to watch football 25 years ago..

Players didn’t really challenge him? He was kicked all over the park in Italy. If any player didn’t challenge him it was because he couldn’t get near him.