Sign in to follow this  

Debit Card Declined, Updating Details, How?

Tried to make a purchase online, using my HSBC business account debit card. Funds are in account, but transaction declined, due to not having up to date contact details (also it said something about 3D authentication failed, and to call number on back of card). On phone to HSBC support, and on hold now for 55 minutes. Is there any other way to update details? Online or via letter etc? Any thoughts? Seems a long time on hold! Tempted to just keep on hold, just to see how long they take to answer...

Never mind. I managed to get through in the end, took 70 minutes though!

Everything seems to take forever on the phone these days, and doing it online always seems problematic too.

5 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Never mind. I managed to get through in the end, took 70 minutes though!

The 3D authentication is well worth it, especially with a lot of phone operators working from home. 

I recently had to give card details to a firm to process a refund for me. 12 hours later my card details were being used to try to buy a £1200 mobile phone. The 3D security stopped that fraud in its tracks.

I know it’s frustrating hanging on the phone, but in this case it is time well spent.

38 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

The 3D authentication is well worth it, especially with a lot of phone operators working from home. 

I recently had to give card details to a firm to process a refund for me. 12 hours later my card details were being used to try to buy a £1200 mobile phone. The 3D security stopped that fraud in its tracks.

I know it’s frustrating hanging on the phone, but in this case it is time well spent.

They checked some things their end, and seemed to be saying it could be a browser issue! That it could work on some sites but not others (actually, it had worked on another site recently). They suggested, should it happen again, try another browser or clear browser cache.

Also, just to say, I'd rather banks err on the side of caution (i.e. security), than convenience!

HSBC UK Bank plc is getting worse in many respects.

It frequently now intercepts large outgoing payments and holds them back until it has verified that the sending party has verified the receiving party's bank details- yes, despite the (long overdue) "Confirmation of Payee' procedure implemented this year.