Laxton Or Bolland? do you have ancestors with these names

I am trying to work out if a certain person was my grandfather or not. I am a member or Ancestry and have taken a DNA test some years ago but none of my family or relatives have done the same. This is making my task almost impossible. If you have the surnames of either Laxton or Bolland in your family tree and they lived in Sheffield I would love to hear from you. If you have also taken an Ancestry DNA test you could be the answer to my prayers. 

Edited by grannypat

Laxton, yes, Sheffield no.

Beds and Northants areas only,  in 1700's.

Sorry, no DNA test either.

No doubt you're aware that Laxton is a placename too?

From memory it's been in 3 different counties over the years!

On 24/11/2020 at 10:58, grannypat said:

I am trying to work out if a certain person was my grandfather or not. I am a member or Ancestry and have taken a DNA test some years ago but none of my family or relatives have done the same. This is making my task almost impossible. If you have the surnames of either Laxton or Bolland in your family tree and they lived in Sheffield I would love to hear from you. If you have also taken an Ancestry DNA test you could be the answer to my prayers. 

Pat if you check your Ancestry matches it will tell you how many Centimorgans you share...Ancestry suggest a Grandparent would show up in the 1400 to 2050 region.

I'm not an expert but I would assume if it's less than that Grandparent would be unlikely.

Edit....apologies Pat, on reading it again it doesn't look as though you can find a person to match to....is that correct?.

Edited by sadbrewer

4 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

Pat if you check your Ancestry matches it will tell you how many Centimorgans you share...Ancestry suggest a Grandparent would show up in the 1400 to 2050 region.

I'm not an expert but I would assume if it's less than that Grandparent would be unlikely.

Edit....apologies Pat, on reading it again it doesn't look as though you can find a person to match to....is that correct?.

Yes that's it in a nutshell. According to Ancestry if you do a surname search on your DNA results page that will only give you direct ancestors who share that surname. I hoped that it would bring up people on my list who had that surname in their tree, even cousins, aunts, uncles etc.  So I have gone thru each one individually looking for Bolland and/or Laxton. There are one or two very distant matches but when I look at their tree they are dealing with people in the 1600s so not much help. 

I just hoped that there might be someone still living in the Sheffield area who has either of these surnames and knows a little of their family history for the last 100 to 150 years. Ever the optimist eh?  I thought I knew who my grandfather was but going by my DNA results it's looking unlikely but I would like to be able to prove it one way or the other. 

Edited by grannypat
Added info

6 hours ago, grannypat said:

Yes that's it in a nutshell. According to Ancestry if you do a surname search on your DNA results page that will only give you direct ancestors who share that surname. I hoped that it would bring up people on my list who had that surname in their tree, even cousins, aunts, uncles etc.  So I have gone thru each one individually looking for Bolland and/or Laxton. There are one or two very distant matches but when I look at their tree they are dealing with people in the 1600s so not much help. 

I just hoped that there might be someone still living in the Sheffield area who has either of these surnames and knows a little of their family history for the last 100 to 150 years. Ever the optimist eh?  I thought I knew who my grandfather was but going by my DNA results it's looking unlikely but I would like to be able to prove it one way or the other. 

Pat, I can tell you there are still quite a few Bollands still in Sheffield...not so many Laxtons though.

Bearing in mind some people may still be alive we can't put too much on a public forum....if you want to PM me with the clues you know about I'll have a dig around and see if I can find anything useful....a link to your Ancestry tree might help.

Edited by sadbrewer