Why Is Coloured Not Respectful?

8 minutes ago, El Cid said:

What do brown people like to be called?

Black

Lets face it, generally we mention two sets of coloured (oops ive said it) people in say, this country. Black people, white people, we dont call some of the white people pink people? slightly pink but mostly white people?

Its WHITE folks, BLACK folks

also with those two terms theres a pattern, they are exact opposites, similar terms, white, black NOT coloured, isnt it said that those two arent even actual colours?

Does it really matter what is the dominant pigmentation of a persons skin is?  Personally, I couldn't care less - I treat a person based on their attitude and behaviour, not their appearance.

If I had a brown and a white parent, I may be offened if I was called the wrong colour  :)

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Does it really matter what is the dominant pigmentation of a persons skin is?  Personally, I couldn't care less - I treat a person based on their attitude and behaviour, not their appearance.

But if you were looking for someone in a supermarket or a bar, you would need an acurate discription. Perhaps a light brown fellow with a black coat?

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

If I had a brown and a white parent, I may be offened if I was called the wrong colour  :)

But if you were looking for someone in a supermarket or a bar, you would need an acurate discription. Perhaps a light brown fellow with a black coat?

Fair enough, @El Cid,if you asked 'Have you seen Fred'? and someone said 'What does he look like'?, you would probably mention his 'skin colour', along with his size and hair colour/style. If someone was looking for me, they'd probably say 'short, fat and going bald' - do I care? - no it is a valid description.

I think “ Black” is far worse than “ coloured “ or is it just me ? 

Might just be you, pattricia - there are various shades of 'colour' in peoples skin - from albino to very dark ebony.

20 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Fair enough, @El Cid,if you asked 'Have you seen Fred'? and someone said 'What does he look like'?, you would probably mention his 'skin colour', along with his size and hair colour/style. If someone was looking for me, they'd probably say 'short, fat and going bald' - do I care? - no it is a valid description.

I dont care either, but some might get upset at black/brown, or so the media tell us. But I am not fat, so people would not use that word :)

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I dont care either, but some might get upset at black/brown, or so the media tell us. But I am not fat, so people would not use that word :)

Exactly, and the media is famed for telling the truth, aren't they? Or so they claim.

I've never heard of Asian people described as 'browns' and white people when they are suntanned can look the same colour.

17 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Once you go black you never go back...erm or something

29 minutes ago, pattricia said:

In the fifties we were taught to say coloured people, anyhow I'm colour blind as in,  I don't see colour I see the Person and thats what counts. 

6 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

In the fifties we were taught to say coloured people, anyhow I'm colour blind as in,  I don't see colour I see the Person and thats what counts. 

Exactly, @PRESLEY! 👍