Why Is Coloured Not Respectful?

I always thought it stemmed from the historical negative connotations to be honest; people were labelled as 'coloured' and signs existed that told them where to sit. Calling someone 'coloured' now has that racist tint to it.

I'm sure you can find a negative connotation with any description of skin colour.

Its such a difficult situation as what to call a person who is not the same colour as yourself.  I am white and i have 2 friends who are not, Both have the same colour skin no difference but one says she is a black woman and the other says she's a brown woman.

Personally i think everyone is equal and it doesn't matter what colour your skin is but there are the ones out there who are white and "overly proud" of that fact and can cause trouble and equally there are the ones who are Not White and "overly proud" of the fact who also cause trouble and its these minority's in any culture that cause the issues

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Exactly, @PRESLEY! 👍

Thankyou.    I see it like this, a Black Person joins the Police to protect and serve,   a Black Person becomes a Doctor to save lives,   a Black Person becomes a Nurse to care  and comfort  people in Medical need,    a Black Person joins the Armed Forces in event his/her life will be at severe risk fighting for their country plus Black People are in  other equally important occupations,  so  therefor Creed or Colour doesn't and SHOULDN'T come into it. We are all Human Beings and have the right to be treated EQUALLY.

28 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Thankyou.    I see it like this, a Black Person joins the Police to protect and serve,   a Black Person becomes a Doctor to save lives,   a Black Person becomes a Nurse to care  and comfort  people in Medical need,    a Black Person joins the Armed Forces in event his/her life will be at severe risk fighting for their country plus Black People are in  other equally important occupations,  so  therefor Creed or Colour doesn't and SHOULDN'T come into it. We are all Human Beings and have the right to be treated EQUALLY.

Once again, the voice of reason. 👍

I'll say this: It's not the 'colour' of a persons skin that counts, it's the 'colour of their soul. I have friends of various races, colours and creeds, and have worked with many nationalities, with no problem at all - as you say, we are all HUMAN BEINGS, and I treat those I meet and mix with, equally. If a 'white' person behaves like a prat, I will tell them so and equally if some one of a different background, ditto to them.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Once again, the voice of reason. 👍

I'll say this: It's not the 'colour' of a persons skin that counts, it's the 'colour of their soul. I have friends of various races, colours and creeds, and have worked with many nationalities, with no problem at all - as you say, we are all HUMAN BEINGS, and I treat those I meet and mix with, equally. If a 'white' person behaves like a prat, I will tell them so and equally if some one of a different background, ditto to them.

My sentiments exactly.   It takes all kinds to make a world,   it takes all good kinds to make a good and better world.

During apartheid in South Africa, 'black' and 'coloured' meant quite different groups of people. But nowadays the groupthink mindset means that people innocently using a word disliked by a listener or reader are at risk of being attacked by an online mob comprising- quite possibly- people to whom the supposedly derogatory epithet does not even apply but who are just angry!

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

The issue is that a small minority think that people who don't acknowledge someones colour isn't acknowledging their background, history, hardships and they're also refusing, as a white person, to acknowledge their on privilege etc. 

It's bat **** insane however unfortunately these morons have been granted a loud enough voice for it to be pushed in front of us. The key here is to ignore those and concentrate more on what you are literally seeing in the real world. 

When you do that you realise that these sorts of questions really aren't necessary. 

17 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

During apartheid in South Africa, 'black' and 'coloured' meant quite different groups of people. But nowadays the groupthink mindset means that people innocently using a word disliked by a listener or reader are at risk of being attacked by an online mob comprising- quite possibly- people to whom the supposedly derogatory epithet does not even apply but who are just angry!

Do you think apartheid-era South Africa set the best example of how to classify people?

. The expression "coloured people" is still very offensive to many.

Not just because of the history of Slavery but as a reminder of the terrible recent history of segregation only a few decades ago, especially in some of the Southern States of the USA,  where it was  considered quite acceptable to put up signs displaying expressions such as "Whites only" or "No Coloreds allowed". 

23 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Do you think apartheid-era South Africa set the best example of how to classify people?

No, not at all. It unfairly discriminated against both groups- those called 'coloured' and those called 'black'.

On 23/11/2020 at 19:56, janie48 said:

. The expression "coloured people" is still very offensive to many.

Not just because of the history of Slavery but as a reminder of the terrible recent history of segregation only a few decades ago, especially in some of the Southern States of the USA,  where it was  considered quite acceptable to put up signs displaying expressions such as "Whites only" or "No Coloreds allowed". 

Similar signs were displayed in the entrances to some Sheffield pubs. I can remember seeing signs saying “no blacks, no gypsies”. Awful really.