Chromebook For Schoolwork?

On 16/12/2020 at 15:51, carosio said:

I would, if it had the app on it. It has web store, google play music, google play film, play books, but not google play store.

Also when clicking the owner icon in the quick view pane on bottom right, the second user is supposed to appear, but doesn't.

It's becoming problematic.  I wasn't aware of all the different versions which apparently can't be updated from early to later ones.

I think version 87 is the most recent one.

To add, when I signed the second user's password into the admin sign-in screen, his icon finally popped up alongside the admins, which is good. Strange though, none of the online instructions I saw mentioned this.

Finally got my friend's chromebook (version 76) set up nicely- except when it came to the printer (HP Desk Jet F4280), which runs fine on her windows laptop.

It's a USB connection (no Cloud anymore). The printer is recognized and saved in the chromebook, but when the print command is given, "printer error" appears. I've exhausted most of the online advice, including youtube, which is mostly for wireless set-ups. Perhaps re-load the printer software?

1. HP do suggest a "print for Chrome" app from Chrome Web Store but I can't seem to access the app from my Win7 laptop .

2. In "edit printer" dialogue, several "Internet Printing Protocol" choices are given, and finally a choice of USB or "IPP over USB" but these 2 are greyed out.

3. Is the IP address and IPP relevant to a USB connected printer?

Note:  I'm trying to assist my friend remotely as she lives in Worksop.

Thanks, no it doesn't have wi-fi, model is a fairly early one though.

That is a big problem with Chromebooks - they are the inverse of Apple notebooks but Apple hardware lasts a bit longer than a Chromebook. The other issue with Chromebooks and any eMMC based Notebooks is that if one component dies on the motherboard you have to throw it in the bin - not environmentally friendly. Far better to go for a budget Notebook with a hard drive and expansion slots than a Chromebook. Just my opinion.

For a young schoolkid the chromebook is ideal- it's quick, relatively straightforward once it is set-up and has an element of control by an adult primary-user. The issue with the printer is that it seems the HP Desk Jet 4200 series is not supported for Chromebooks (possibly something to do with PPD files).