Chromebook For Schoolwork?

There are a few threads on these laptops but not quite the info I was looking for.

I've been looking for a laptop for my friend's 7 year old (he's quite intelligent) and spotted a second-hand HP Chromebook, however both I and his mother are only familiar with Windows. The intended use would be for internet, google, emails, youtube etc but what's the position if  ( in the future) he wants to use a printer or download software, and possibly use it for schoolwork ?

Think of Chromebooks as Android powered laptops.

The vast majority of apps you can get on a phone, you can get on a Chromebook, this now includes all the Microsoft office stuff.

I have no issues connecting to my printer on mine, it's quite straightforward.

And from what I understand, schools are quite into supplying Chromebooks for schoolwork due to the low cost of them.

Edited by Pyrotequila

ok, thanks, perhaps prejudice towards the unfamiliar!

The Middle School in our town provide the kids with Chromebooks to take home.

I bought the HP Chromebook 14 and on checking it out seems fine. I can browse internet as a guest, but there's a problem in setting the homepage.

Online guides say select settings >appearance and there should be a "Show Home" button to turn on, but there isn't one (as far as I can see). Is this because I have not signed in, or not?

I have a Lenovo Chromebook and I log out every time and then I have to log in again when I start up again. I see this as a safety feature because other people cannot log into your account unless they know your password.

19 hours ago, carosio said:

Is this because I have not signed in, or not?

Yes.

As a guest it doesn't save anything you do.

3 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

Yes.

As a guest it doesn't save anything you do.

I did not know that. Thank you.

ok thanks, I'll log in with google account and go from there.

Chromebook is certainly more simple in many ways, but takes a lot of getting used to, devil in the detail.

I've been trying to locate the mysterious "Family Link" app for the parental control but been so far unsuccessful.

The O.S. version I have is 76 (up-to-date it says) but I read there is a version 86.

Update- after much puzzling, I've found that the Family Link is only available on Google Play Store and it appears that my version of Chromebook does not (yet?) support it, unless the O.S. is changed over to the developer channel, something I'm reluctant to go into.

Edited by carosio

I updated yesterday and I'm on version 87 😉

As for "Family Link" just search on the Play Store, it was the first thing that showed in the results for me.

Edited by Pyrotequila

I would, if it had the app on it. It has web store, google play music, google play film, play books, but not google play store.

Also when clicking the owner icon in the quick view pane on bottom right, the second user is supposed to appear, but doesn't.

It's becoming problematic.  I wasn't aware of all the different versions which apparently can't be updated from early to later ones.

I think version 87 is the most recent one.

Edited by carosio