Ofgem Propose £21 On Energy Bills To Cover Bad Debt.

Ofgem propose £21 on bills to cover bad debts due to Coronavirus.  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ofgems proposal to add £21 to cover bad debt be approved?

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, iansheff said:

Would like to know how much of the money in this country spent on energy goes abroad as four of the big six energy companies are foreign owned.

Sky is owned by US media firm Comcast, dont you believe foreign bussinesses should operate in this country?

Many companies are multinational, can you tell me why it matters who owns these companies?

Wasn’t the french charging the uk users more  to offset the french users of energy a couple of years ago ...

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Sky is owned by US media firm Comcast, dont you believe foreign bussinesses should operate in this country?

Many companies are multinational, can you tell me why it matters who owns these companies?

Because we should keep control of our utilities companies, preferably re-nationalise them.

46 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Because we should keep control of our utilities companies, preferably re-nationalise them.

They are heavily regulated, but not ownership. As I pointed out, money is international, even our Banks are international.

Do you check to see who owns a company, before you do business with them?

21 hours ago, El Cid said:

They are heavily regulated, but not ownership. As I pointed out, money is international, even our Banks are international.

Do you check to see who owns a company, before you do business with them?

I have tried, but to be honest it's nearly impossible to get to the parent compaies, let alone the top of the tree. 

Apparently only 6 corporations in the world, own just about everything.

And they are individually worth more than some countries. That actually makes them dangerous as they can wield more power than governments, and can hold them to ransome.

This is how they can avoid paying taxes. How did we allow that to happen?

Edited by Anna B

54 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I have tried, but to be honest it's nearly impossible to get to the parent compaies, let alone the top of the tree. 

And they are individually worth more than some countries. That actually makes them dangerous as they can wield more power than governments, and can hold them to ransome.

Really? Can you name the six?

Energy companies are laughing all the way to the bank .Because of two lockdowns people are staying in and therefore using more energy. My usage is up about 40%, the same can be said for water usage with the extra hand washing advised. No surprise if this surcharge isLooks as though it will be sensible to join the non payment club. implemented as we already pay extra council tax to compensate for non payers and extra insurance for uninsured drivers. Looks as though it would be sensible to join the non payment club.

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Interesting, but I think your number of 6 from the article refers to the number of conglomorates owning "Media and Studio" outlets in the USA, in 2003, according to your source.  The article shows similar groupings in other areas, and is interesting, but I am sure more up-to-date info could form a new post from a post reader... (yes - it's an interesting area of study - perhaps someone could start a new post on this and post a link to it here....)

1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Interesting, but I think your number of 6 from the article refers to the number of conglomorates owning "Media and Studio" outlets in the USA, in 2003, according to your source.  The article shows similar groupings in other areas, and is interesting, but I am sure more up-to-date info could form a new post from a post reader... (yes - it's an interesting area of study - perhaps someone could start a new post on this and post a link to it here....)

More up to date data would show more concentration of assetts in fewer hands, The big fish eat the little fish. It rarely goes the other way. 

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

That doesn’t support your claim.

5 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Yes, I’ve sometimes heard six corporations own all the media. But, even that isn’t true.

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

More up to date data would show more concentration of assetts in fewer hands, The big fish eat the little fish. It rarely goes the other way. 

Would it?  You failed to prove your original claim (because it’s total rubbish) so why state the above?

15 hours ago, ivan edake said:

Energy companies are laughing all the way to the bank .Because of two lockdowns people are staying in and therefore using more energy. My usage is up about 40%, the same can be said for water usage with the extra hand washing advised. No surprise if this surcharge isLooks as though it will be sensible to join the non payment club. implemented as we already pay extra council tax to compensate for non payers and extra insurance for uninsured drivers. Looks as though it would be sensible to join the non payment club.

You can claim back 6 quid a week from the tax man for working from home this year. You only need to have worked a single week at home and you can claim the tax back for 52 weeks. That's £312.