Old House Next To Bakery, Walkley 1950s - 60s

Anyone remember a BAKERY next to a big old house on the end of a road in Walkley.

My friend lived in a flat in the house with her Mum, but can't remember where it was.

It was when she was little so late 50s early 60s.  Thanks Heartshome.

I am on a Facebook group relating to Walkley history and took the liberty of sharing your request on there.  Here is a suggestion:

There was Neals shop which had a bakery on Walkley lane where Carnaby St. joins it.

Hope this is the one.  Apparently, the bread smell was lovely!

David

25 minutes ago, TWhits said:

I am on a Facebook group relating to Walkley history and took the liberty of sharing your request on there.  Here is a suggestion:

There was Neals shop which had a bakery on Walkley lane where Carnaby St. joins it.

Hope this is the one.  Apparently, the bread smell was lovely!

David

Another possibility (but sounds less like your description):

Davies Bakery was at the end at the bottom of Howard Road ... opposite the Yorkshire Bank . It was a double shop and had a big canvas awning that they pulled out to shade the window ,

3 minutes ago, TWhits said:

Another possibility (but sounds less like your description):

Davies Bakery was at the end at the bottom of Howard Road ... opposite the Yorkshire Bank . It was a double shop and had a big canvas awning that they pulled out to shade the window ,

And another remote possibility:

There was Sellars at the top of Cromwell St opposite the Yorkshire bank. Where you could buy the penny loaf

And another - people are keen to help (says a lot about those from Walkley):-)

There was Skinners (I think) on Walkley Road. They were in the end terrace with a large house next door, think it was Marriott's haulage?

A bit more on Neal's:

There was a one man bakery behind a shop on walkley lane that backed on the top of carnaby road..called neal's

Edited by TWhits

1 hour ago, TWhits said:

A bit more on Neal's:

There was a one man bakery behind a shop on walkley lane that backed on the top of carnaby road..called neal's

Thankyou TWhits, your effort is very much appreciated, I will pass the info on to my friend. Heartshome.

This is a very hazy memory but at the side of Sellars' bakery was  a small area of spare land. I remember some steps but couldn't see where they led but must have been to some sort of rooms because French onion sellers either lived there or had some sort of storage place.

As children, we thought they were Spanish connection being Spanish onions.  They sold these strings of onions from bikes but I never saw them selling in the Walkley area.

Lots of big houses around that area and possibly one not in plain view.

3 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Thankyou TWhits, your effort is very much appreciated, I will pass the info on to my friend. Heartshome.

You are welcome.  Let's hope one of these is "the one".

4 hours ago, kris99 said:

This is a very hazy memory but at the side of Sellars' bakery was  a small area of spare land. I remember some steps but couldn't see where they led but must have been to some sort of rooms because French onion sellers either lived there or had some sort of storage place.

As children, we thought they were Spanish connection being Spanish onions.  They sold these strings of onions from bikes but I never saw them selling in the Walkley area.

Hi Kris99, strange you should mention the land, spoke to my friend this afternoon, she said the gang of children

she played with went over a wall at the back onto some open ground to play. Also used to go up steps at the side of

the house where there was a 'funny' room,  she thought it must have been a boiler room or something,  maybe it was

and it was used for storage. Thanks Heartshome.

On 20/11/2020 at 15:03, kris99 said:

Hi kriss99, had a word with my friend, she said the 'room' could quite possibly have been used for storage. She remembers

the house was 3 storeys high, and on the END with the Bakery next to it. 

She also recalls she played with 4 other girls  who decided on a group name ' THE FIVE ICED DIAMONDS ' if any ladies remember that name who are from the area. My friends name back then was STEPHNIE GAMBLE. Ok Heartshome.

Do you know if the house was in view? I remember the Gamble family but not Stephanie. I can see the family now mum, dad and a girl.  This was in the 50's and knew they lived  about there but thought it was a flat above Sellars' bakery. Told you it was a hazy memory. I can't picture a house at all just the steps and the spare piece of land.

Fascinated now  I'll have to try to find pictures perh

aps Picture Sheffield.