Fairytale Of New York. Lyrics

BBC Radio 1 has banned the original version of 'Fairytale of New York'.  The station said "Young listeners were particularly sensitive to derogatory terms for gender & sexuality.".  Instead it will play an edited version with different lyrics sung by Kirsty McColl. 

A bit patronising don't you think, Radio 1?  Heaven forbid that the young accidentally switch on Radio 2 then as they WILL play the original version, (what's betting that it now comes with a warning?), while ridiculously, Radio 6 will be able to choose to play either version? 

One of the greatest songs written, clearly involving a bickering but ultimately loving relationship & Radio 1 ban it.  I must tune in & see if they've stopped playing all the violence glorifying, misogynist, gangster rap & 'Relax' again? 

Edited by nikki-red

To be honest I can’t remember ever hearing it played on any of the main radio stations without certain words blanked out? 
Im not quite sure why this is ‘news’.

Will no doubt lead to a campaign to get it to Christmas no 1 tho...

The ones of the radio i've heard in recent years have had 'cheap and you're haggard' in place of the other lyrics.

36 minutes ago, Groose said:

The ones of the radio i've heard in recent years have had 'cheap and you're haggard' in place of the other lyrics.

Well, as somone who is cheap and haggard I'm extremely upset and insulted 😂

Seriously though i think this is a fantastic song and I love to hear it being played. Every year someone decides that we're all too sensitive to listen to it. I suppose it gets a bit of publicity for the radio station in question. To those people who are offended by it, don't listen. When I think about some of the offensive material on TV these days I can't understand why a couple of risque lyrics should cause any concern.

It is that time of year again when controversy arises over this songs lyrics,  the BBC have tweaked the lyrics of the song to avoid offence. 

Execs made the decision to change the word “f****t” to “haggard”, while the word "slut" is muted to avoid banning the song from airwaves completely.

However the BBC are allowing their radio stations to play which version of the song is most relevant for their audience, I wonder how many will play the original version.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/bbc-bosses-tweak-lyrics-pogues-23033405

I can’t link to the tweet on here, well, not if I want to keep my account. So you’ll have to go and find this yourselves.

Laurence Fox has launched a predictable campaign to get the original to number one. The Pogues official reply is priceless.

It seems that they aren’t too troubled by this.

i agree with that,messing about with words in songs and other music ect,frightened to upset someone,its getting silly,leave history and music alone and if you dont like it dont play it or read it.

On 17/12/2018 at 08:54, banjodeano said:

Oh Lord, he would have sounded better with ten pints of lager in him whilst smoking a pack of woodbine's..

That's kinda the point isn't it? Not exactly your usual cheery Christmas song, but banning it?

Oh, FFS....

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

That's kinda the point isn't it? Not exactly your usual cheery Christmas song, but banning it?

Oh, FFS....

It hasn't been banned.

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I can’t link to the tweet on here, well, not if I want to keep my account. So you’ll have to go and find this yourselves.

Laurence Fox has launched a predictable campaign to get the original to number one. The Pogues official reply is priceless.

Yes.  Most amusing.

41 minutes ago, iansheff said:

It is that time of year again when controversy arises over this songs lyrics,  the BBC have tweaked the lyrics of the song to avoid offence. 

Execs made the decision to change the word “f****t” to “haggard”, while the word "slut" is muted to avoid banning the song from airwaves completely.

However the BBC are allowing their radio stations to play which version of the song is most relevant for their audience, I wonder how many will play the original version.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/bbc-bosses-tweak-lyrics-pogues-23033405

Another one of these "We've been robbed" stories designed to appeal to a particular subsection of society, despite it happening to this song for the last 40 years :?

20 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

"Herrenvolk", not a word you hear very often :hihi:

Edited by Magilla

Well, we know which song is going to be the Xmas no.1 then, don't we!

Radio 1 strikes a blow for stupidity.  They really should learn from history.  Relax, don't do it!