Stolen Bike

On 22/11/2020 at 08:08, Thorpist said:

I tend to disagree that VIN plates are not an effective deterrent but I don't  have see how the effect one way or another can be measured. If it was just a case of removing a number plate and driving off with a new one fitted with no tractability  I think car theft would soar.

I do agree that the cost of administering the system would be a factor but as previously stated with the explosion of e-bikes something has to be done to to deter the theft or people will be wary of purchasing what is an expensive product and the movement for more cycle lanes will fade away.

The main point is that there is a need to do something . I do not know the answer but it certainly needs

addressing by government.

Neither do I, but my experience of burglary was that the police had little interest in dealing with it (and I know others who had the same experience). So hardly surprising there is so much theft - seems a fairly risk free crime.

On 19/11/2020 at 13:55, Mimif said:

I'm confused how it's possible to steal a bike when a massive heavy duty chain is wrapped and locked around it.  Recent victim was lockdown in Kilner Way retail car park.  Without a seat!

The bike seat was removed, heavy chain lock and it was still taken. 

Because of the sentimental value there's a £100 reward for its whereabouts and return. 

It's a Carrea Transit folding bike. 

Seen two guys who looked like users enter Meadowhall retail park at 15:45 this afternoon. One had a silver folding bike with no logos and the other hard a decathlon rockrider orange mountain bike. They went into to Iceland without even bothering to look the bikes and looked suspicious!

Edited by S1 1DJ

havent' read, but all I can say is good luck..

I had a bike stolen years ago, saw them take it, saw it go, got a number plate for the car involved and everything... reported it to the police, and nothing ever happened, except for a leaflet through the door 6 months later "how to secure and protect your bike"

never heard if they chased it up or anything....

Police don't care about thefts like this.  For them, no-one has  been hurt and the property should be insured so why bother to actually do their job.

Crime reference number, claim off insurance, done.

There is no risk to the the thief, so they just carry on.

On 20/11/2020 at 08:21, Thorpist said:

All vehicles registered in the UK must have a unique, stamped-in vehicle identification number (VIN) and registration number.  without one a penalty is incurred

As stated  there is a  a bureaucratic cost.

I know of no one  that is confident their bike will still be there after leaving it for a few hours.

At the very least there should be a discussion at Government level as to what can be done to reduce bike theft.

Virtually every bike already leaves the factory with a stamped identification number (usually under the bottom bracket) and there's already a database in use for it , free to use.

I knew there was an id stamped on bikes I didn't know there was a database.

Thanks for posting . I will now register mine

It's a nice idea in theory, pretty pointless in practice.
Stolen bikes are so rarely recovered, most of the time the frames are just discarded and the parts are sold.