Stolen Bike

I'm confused how it's possible to steal a bike when a massive heavy duty chain is wrapped and locked around it.  Recent victim was lockdown in Kilner Way retail car park.  Without a seat!

The bike seat was removed, heavy chain lock and it was still taken. 

Because of the sentimental value there's a £100 reward for its whereabouts and return. 

It's a Carrea Transit folding bike. 

Edited by Mimif

A description and a photo (if you have one) would help.

1 hour ago, Mimif said:

I'm confused how it's possible to steal a bike when a massive heavy duty chain is wrapped and locked around it.  Recent victim was lockdown in Kilner Way retail car park.  Without a seat!

The bike seat was removed, heavy chain lock and it was still taken. 

Because of the sentimental value there's a £100 reward for its whereabouts and return. 

Bike thieves are using battery operated grinders to take bikes with heavy duty chains and locks normally high value bikes.

its the values of these bikes,bet they would leave cheapies alone,but saying that they stole loads of the pay bikes ,when they tried that,so its just todays society.and if they catch them nowt happens,no respect thats the problem

Edited by bassett one

Since the advent of battery grinders no chains are an obstacle to thieves.

Making bikes have a traceable stamped serial number number would help if it incurred a penalty for riding with out one. The problem with this is it incurs a bureaucratic cost. With the take off Electric bikes this problem is going to escalate considerably.

Until the fear of  punishment or capture for crime becomes a deterrent things will just stay on an upward spiral.

5 hours ago, Thorpist said:

Since the advent of battery grinders no chains are an obstacle to thieves.

Making bikes have a traceable stamped serial number number would help if it incurred a penalty for riding with out one. The problem with this is it incurs a bureaucratic cost. With the take off Electric bikes this problem is going to escalate considerably.

Until the fear of  punishment or capture for crime becomes a deterrent things will just stay on an upward spiral.

A penalty for riding without a serial number stamped on a bike? Why on earth would that warrant a penalty?

All vehicles registered in the UK must have a unique, stamped-in vehicle identification number (VIN) and registration number.  without one a penalty is incurred

As stated  there is a  a bureaucratic cost.

I know of no one  that is confident their bike will still be there after leaving it for a few hours.

At the very least there should be a discussion at Government level as to what can be done to reduce bike theft.

2 hours ago, Thorpist said:

All vehicles registered in the UK must have a unique, stamped-in vehicle identification number (VIN) and registration number.  without one a penalty is incurred

As stated  there is a  a bureaucratic cost.

I know of no one  that is confident their bike will still be there after leaving it for a few hours.

At the very least there should be a discussion at Government level as to what can be done to reduce bike theft.

You haven't answered the question in relation to pushbikes.

How does a car VIN prevent car thefts? 

Edited by Bargepole23

Nothing will stop the theft of something if a  person wants to steal it ,  registration makes it difficult to resell the vehicle and helps to trace the legitimate owner.

Do you think that driving an unregistered car should  be alllowed?

On 20/11/2020 at 14:01, Thorpist said:

Nothing will stop the theft of something if a  person wants to steal it ,  registration makes it difficult to resell the vehicle and helps to trace the legitimate owner.

Do you think that driving an unregistered car should  be alllowed?

Car thefts are rising rapidly, despite having VIN plates. So its not an effective deterrent. 

So why set up and administer a system that would, I'm guessing of course, cost far more than the cost of the stolen bikes.

I tend to disagree that VIN plates are not an effective deterrent but I don't  have see how the effect one way or another can be measured. If it was just a case of removing a number plate and driving off with a new one fitted with no tractability  I think car theft would soar.

I do agree that the cost of administering the system would be a factor but as previously stated with the explosion of e-bikes something has to be done to to deter the theft or people will be wary of purchasing what is an expensive product and the movement for more cycle lanes will fade away.

The main point is that there is a need to do something . I do not know the answer but it certainly needs

addressing by government.

Not for everyone I guess but perhaps one of these might help? The real Tail it bicycle tracker! GPS for bike hidden in the handlebar.    Or other types of trackers.

We know protecting bikes is a real pain, for instance whilst at work some company's will now let you take your bike indoors or provide a secure room.

As  with cars professional thief's can and do change the vehicles identity's and send them aboard for instance.

Bikes do have serial numbers and other identifying security can be added,  however the stolen bike has to be detected first.

Perhaps all bikes should be registered on purchase on a central computer as with cars so the police can check suspect stolen bikes  through a type of PNC.

Edited by Erin