Jam Factory

Has anyone any recollections of the Jam Factory behind the Eagle Garage on Bradfield Rd Hillsboro.its official name was the Hillsboro fruit and packaging Company.When i worked at the garage the fruit tub rail lines were still there and Jewel Razor Co used the wells for water to cool their grinding machines.

I lived an Hawksley  road for 15 years up to 1968 and as I recall there was a scrap yard behind Eagle garage and Melluish brothers adjacent to that.

forgeman,I dont recall the scrapyard but yes Melluish's were there along with George Hobsons coaches and Hattersley and Day fences I think the jam factory was before the war it was possibly damaged with the parachute mines but there were plenty of tub lines behind the garage.

2 hours ago, bullerboY said:

MICK BADGER  Yes i did from 1974-78.

did Warringtons run/own eagle garage?

I knew a chap called Ray red hair and glasses who worked at Warringtons

I was also a very good friend of George Hobson and his son Graham

Edited by MICK BADGER

MICK BADGER Yes they did that would be Ray Jowle I knew George well and his daughter she worked for Al Wright at Caravan Investments on Middlewood rd,she was a stunner.Ray if he is still with us lives in Cornwall now we took it in turns to drive the six wheel Foden breakdown truck.38MPH up hill and down unless you knocked it out of gear then it would go off the clock after shaking itself to bits.

Edited by bullerboY

It sounds like it could be this...Thomas Oxley's English Fruit Preserving Co

( Hillsborough and Stocksbridge) , Bradfield Road.

Mr Oxley was extremely successful, he left over £32,000 when he died in Blackpool in 1926. His son carried the business on.

Edit....looks as though Thomas retired during WW1 and the business was acquired by John France Crookall, Walter Shaw and Henry Wheedall. Their partnership split in 1922 leaving the business in Crookall's hands.

Crookall went into bankruptcy in 1925....everything came up for sale, but I can't find who bought it or whether they carried on the business.

Edited by sadbrewer

On 19/11/2020 at 19:50, bullerboY said:

MICK BADGER Yes they did that would be Ray Jowle I knew George well and his daughter she worked for Al Wright at Caravan Investments on Middlewood rd,she was a stunner.Ray if he is still with us lives in Cornwall now we took it in turns to drive the six wheel Foden breakdown truck.38MPH up hill and down unless you knocked it out of gear then it would go off the clock after shaking itself to bits.

Hi bullerboy 

Ray is my grandad.

Could you drop me a pm and I can put him back in touch with you if that's ok

Lee Jowle Job done! Look forward to hearing from him.

On 21/11/2020 at 19:13, sadbrewer said:

It sounds like it could be this...Thomas Oxley's English Fruit Preserving Co

( Hillsborough and Stocksbridge) , Bradfield Road.

Mr Oxley was extremely successful, he left over £32,000 when he died in Blackpool in 1926. His son carried the business on.

Edit....looks as though Thomas retired during WW1 and the business was acquired by John France Crookall, Walter Shaw and Henry Wheedall. Their partnership split in 1922 leaving the business in Crookall's hands.

Crookall went into bankruptcy in 1925....everything came up for sale, but I can't find who bought it or whether they carried on the business.

Thanks for that ,very interesting.