No New Petrol Or Diesel Cars After 2030-Will There Be A U Turn?

8 minutes ago, enntee said:

Charging at home.

Sounds good, but just look at all those streets where noone can get parked outside their own house.

Are we going to see cables running all over the place?

It'll never happen. Whoever thought this bright idea up didn't look any further than the end of the street. Logistically, it is a no-go nightmare.

2 hours ago, enntee said:

Charging at home.

Sounds good, but just look at all those streets where noone can get parked outside their own house.

But not everyone lives in terrace house. And I already hurdle over a couple of cables when I take the dog out. I’m not saying it isn’t a problem - for multi car households living on a terrace street with no off street parking its going to be a very big problem - you might find charging units put outside houses. There were reports there would be wireless charging under roads (I doubt by 2030) but main roads whilst your sat in traffic (jams won’t go away). 

Charging at work? When your shopping? 

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

It'll never happen. Whoever thought this bright idea up didn't look any further than the end of the street. Logistically, it is a no-go nightmare.

It’s already happening. Several manufacturers had already served notice on petrol/diesel cars months (years?) before the governments announcement. Cut your cloth accordingly or get a bus pass!

9 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

But not everyone lives in terrace house. And I already hurdle over a couple of cables when I take the dog out. I’m not saying it isn’t a problem - for multi car households living on a terrace street with no off street parking its going to be a very big problem - you might find charging units put outside houses. There were reports there would be wireless charging under roads (I doubt by 2030) but main roads whilst your sat in traffic (jams won’t go away). 

Charging at work? When your shopping? 

It’s already happening. Several manufacturers had already served notice on petrol/diesel cars months (years?) before the governments announcement. Cut your cloth accordingly or get a bus pass!

I'm retired, so I wouldn't be charging at work, and who wants to spend 3+ hours shopping while waiting for a charge?

Not that it bothers me really, as I don't drive anyway, and my bus pass is due in about 5 months anyway.

On 18/11/2020 at 13:41, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

When this story was muted at the weekend, I saw someone from the motor industry bemoaning the fact that the decision to get rid of petrol & diesel cars was going to be brought forward by 10  years to 2030 & that this would be difficult for the motor industry to develope the new technologies to meet the deadline. 

Whenever I hear something like this, I'm reminded of 6 years, 10 months.  That was the length of time from the pledge made by Kennedy to the US landing on the Moon.  All the technology had to be invented, go through research & development, built & tested from scratch.   The motor industry isn't starting from the point of 'What's a car engine' are they? 

A deadline focuses the mind, so rather than the motor industry moaning about the time scale, just get on with it.  Or is your average family saloon more mechanically complicated than a Saturn 5 rocket?  

I don't think so. 

Does the motor industry have the financial resources of the US government? The former has to make a profit every year, the latter can run large deficits for years on end.

When people run out of petrol, they can go for a walk and return with a container of fuel for example.

A minority of people still run out of petrol. If people run out of battery power in a remote area, I suppose they will have to call their breakdown service provider each time?

Edited by Janus

16 hours ago, enntee said:

Charging at home.

That will be an issue.

I was in London few days ago and on one street  was a single charging point. 

But who gets to use it first or when will be something to look at- if you have numerous cars waiting to charge. 

Luckily we have a drive so if I opted for a hybrid,  I can charge from home.

Posted in 2014 because of massive power outages in various countries.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22229684-300-lights-out-the-dark-future-of-electric-power/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/11/141103114045.htm

and the demand for electricity continues to grow stronger with rapid population growth, compact urban areas and an 'addiction' to electric appliances.

and 6 years later it gets announced that we will stop using fossil fuel cars in the quite near future, so that demand is going to greatly increase, how many cars are currently on the worlds roads?

How many cars on UKs roads? you'll need a lot of charging points, and a lot of electricity?

Do we have the infrastructure to cope?

If not, how much will it cost and when will it be ready?

It's ok announcing these things to appease parts of society but can they be accomplished?

Edited by melthebell

13 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

But not everyone lives in terrace house. And I already hurdle over a couple of cables when I take the dog out. I’m not saying it isn’t a problem - for multi car households living on a terrace street with no off street parking its going to be a very big problem - you might find charging units put outside houses.

They could have a long arm which goes 8ft over the pavement then comes down where the car is parked; it will be a problem tho, as people would need to park in their own parking spot.

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Posted in 2014 because of massive power outages in various countries.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22229684-300-lights-out-the-dark-future-of-electric-power/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/11/141103114045.htm

and 6 years later it gets announced that we will stop using fossil fuel cars in the quite near future, so that demand is going to greatly increase, how many cars are currently on the worlds roads?

How many cars on UKs roads? you'll need a lot of charging points, and a lot of electricity?

Do we have the infrastructure to cope?

If not, how much will it cost and when will it be ready?

It's ok announcing these things to appease parts of society but can they be accomplished?

Infrastructure availability question - the answer is NO and unlikely, to say the least, in 10 years.

As to cost, think of an astronomical number, double it and add 500%.

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Infrastructure availability question - the answer is NO and unlikely, to say the least, in 10 years.

As to cost, think of an astronomical number, double it and add 500%.

Just answered my own question

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/motoring-issues/2020/how-many-cars-are-there-in-the-uk/

40 million cars on the road as of April 2020

so 40 million will need charging, thats a lot more electricity usuage

4 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Just answered my own question

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/motoring-issues/2020/how-many-cars-are-there-in-the-uk/

40 million cars on the road as of April 2020

so 40 million will need charging, thats a lot more electricity usuage

Which will not be available.

Just now, RollingJ said:

Which will not be available.

and what we do will mostly will be created from fossil fuels so sort of defeats the object LOL