No New Petrol Or Diesel Cars After 2030-Will There Be A U Turn?

The modern electric powered cars were never intended to be a direct replacement for fossil fuel  burners, they were intended for city use hence the low millage problems did not matter.  

22 minutes ago, choogling said:

The modern electric powered cars were never intended to be a direct replacement for fossil fuel  burners, they were intended for city use hence the low millage problems did not matter.  

Hybrids make more sense in terms of distance, but hydrogen powered cars make more sense overall.

Electric cars still need the electricity to be generated and at the moment I believe depend on Lithium batteries which are heavy polluters. 

Cost is going to put all these well outside the pockets of the average motorist. 

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Hybrids make more sense in terms of distance, but hydrogen powered cars make more sense overall.

Electric cars still need the electricity to be generated and at the moment I believe depend on Lithium batteries which are heavy polluters. 

Cost is going to put all these well outside the pockets of the average motorist. 

Dacia are releasing an EV for around £17k. Bog standard fiesta is £15k.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/dacia/109132/new-2021-dacia-spring-revealed-europes-cheapest-electric-car

21 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/dacia/109132/new-2021-dacia-spring-revealed-europes-cheapest-electric-car

Maybe, but many people can't afford brand new cars at all. 

And is the necessary infrastructure going to be

a) ready

b) suitable

Edited by Anna B

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

we cant make them work properly - there are some people messing around with graphene fuel tanks, but mostly because it sounds cool. and there's enough of a buzz around graphene to more or less guarantee the research funding.

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

why is it that we suddenly care about pollution when it gives us an opportunity to knock EV's ?

"i couldn't possibly use an EV, they're made of Lithium, something something pollution...." (while merrily crawling along at 6mph in our enormous diesel SUV's)

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

Maybe, but many people can't afford brand new cars at all. 

That's a feature, not a bug.

That is also why the question over a u-turn by 2030 is redundant.

By 2030, fewer still are expected to be buying new (EV) cars for personal use, more still are expected to have converted to transport-anywhere-as-a-service.

Of course, most everyone will still be dedicating at least as much disposable income on transport as now (in proportion). They just won't be owning any share of the transporting asset, anymore.

Something else to worry about. More cases have been made public after these two similar ones:

VW pulls plug on helping with £2,500 repair bill
Our £40,000 Passat GTE completely died just outside its three-year warranty

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/nov/09/vw-repair-bill-passat-gte-warranty

9 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

A Dacia though.  They can't even get a handle on their rusting problems which have plagued the brand for several years.

Edited by alchresearch

10 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Bog standard Dacia is £8k though.

Still got a long way to go on price.

Why shouldnt people just buy the best vehicle, with incentives in the correct place. There should be no reason to ban certain vehicles, what about a farmers 4x4?

Lots of 4x4s around, who is to so who needs one. I do believe electric cars can be cheaper and better, but there is no need for a ban.

I have used a petrol hedge cutter, you have got to do it, so that you dont breath in the exhaust fumes.

Does it make sense to have petrol garden tools, whilst banning petrol cars? Loads more electric scooters on our roads, making Halfords profits higher, who knows how people will travel around in 10/20 years?

44 minutes ago, El Cid said:

, who knows how people will travel around in 10/20 year

10/20 yrs  they will have perfected those jet packs, people will be flying to and from destinations..

Mountain rescue already use them, bottom of the mountain to the top 15mins.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Why shouldnt people just buy the best vehicle, with incentives in the correct place. There should be no reason to ban certain vehicles, what about a farmers 4x4?

Lots of 4x4s around, who is to so who needs one. I do believe electric cars can be cheaper and better, but there is no need for a ban.

I have used a petrol hedge cutter, you have got to do it, so that you dont breath in the exhaust fumes.

Does it make sense to have petrol garden tools, whilst banning petrol cars? Loads more electric scooters on our roads, making Halfords profits higher, who knows how people will travel around in 10/20 years?

Indeed. A bit off topic, but there was a feature on hyperlink travel on the box the other day, (think that's what it was called. Pod in a vacuum tube. They're starting with central London to Heathrow which takes, I think, about 4 minutes, and London to Edinburgh in about 25 minutes.

And here we are still pratting about and spending billions on HS2.....

Edited by Anna B